1920's-ish indoor trim colours?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
heartwood

Re: 1920's-ish indoor trim colours?

Post by heartwood »

Viking sales sells linseed oil paints...I am not familiar with how their interior paint spreads or lasts...the exterior paint has earned a bad reputation...the sales person, soren, is a born salesman--read between the lines...when the paint fails, it's always your fault...it's a fussy paint in that it requires cleaning and additional coats of linseed oil...it also has a reputation of attracting mold....

there is an interesting video outlining paint/glass/putty removal with linseed oil and the silent paint remover...see it here: http://www.solventfreepaint.com

...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

I wish someone in North America would come out with a linseed oil paint, mostly so it would be more affordable. I have a large house theres no way I could afford the cost of that paint, over such a large house. I'd rather spend money on wood windows or other projects.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Vala wrote:Wish there was a US company that sold linseed oil paint, lucky there's US made Linseed oil glazing putty. That imported stuff is really marked up too much.

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/

these are the people that also make the silent paint stripper. I mentioned them above, they are US based I believe. As I said before I have heard some not good things about modern linseed oil paints (not living up to claims of longevity or mildew). I have never tried this stuff, so not recommending just passing on what I know / have heard

It seems they actually carry a couple of different brands.
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

I thought they were Swedish and it was all imported.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Vala wrote:I thought they were Swedish and it was all imported.

i dunno, but stuff I have ordered from them was shipped from a US address. At least some of the stuff is imported i believe
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

Mick_VT wrote:
Vala wrote:I thought they were Swedish and it was all imported.

i dunno, but stuff I have ordered from them was shipped from a US address. At least some of the stuff is imported i believe

Hmm, I was under the impression it was all from Sweden, which is why it is sold by the liter.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Vala wrote:Hmm, I was under the impression it was all from Sweden, which is why it is sold by the liter.

Looking here: http://www.solventfreepaint.com/viking-sales.htm the company is US, but a lot of their stuff is imported
Mick...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Well the main difference between old and new linseed oil paint is the drying agent. I think the old ones contained lead and were therefore banned a while ago. The lead might have inhibited mould growth as it's pretty toxic.

I might use the German stuff on an exterior door some time this summer and will definitely let you know about the results! Currently we have two exterior doors with failing paint, one has modern oil paint from the early 90s, the other one I painted with some kind of eco paint (contains linseed oil, sunflower oil and a bunch of other non-declared ingredients as well as solvent naphtha) in 2008 and now it's starting to chip again. Before I repaint this door I definitely have to find a way to keep rain from seeping in between the rails and panels.

Apparently Sweden has a fairly lively culture of historic preservation and that's why they have at least two manufacturers of linseed oil paint (Ottosson and Allback). BTW, I think the main reason for high costs of imported stuff is that pesky little pond between the two continents... US products are insanely expensive in Europe too! And don't even ask about postage for anything heavier than a single-page letter! I think parcels start somewhere around $40!