What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by phil »

sometimes people put a few things, throw one good thing in there and put "must take all".
I've picked things like that up and it was a fair trade off because I got something I wanted and in return made his dump run, usually combined with my own dump run.

another scheme is to involve a seller who gets some percentage of profit from being the wheeler dealer and answering a zillion email messages. Some who have to man otherwise very quiet antique stores in winter might play. a lot of them sell online to supplement the income which is dry this time of year especially with covid.

friends dont let real friends join facebook ;-)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

This weekend I got my cement board down on the up stairs bathroom project, and cleaned out half the gardens and pruned the roses, and the apple tree. Still got four more flower gardens to clean up and repair my little box gardens for the veggies.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

What I did this past weekend. Slugged enough stones to fill five more cages down the river bank, just a little more protection for Gothichome. Still have another forty or so feet to make cages for and fill with rocks. Each cage takes about half a ton of rocks, got a good work out. Also got the veggie garden straightened out and almost ready for seeding. And got some of cement board on the walls of the upstairs bathroom.
Glad it’s a Monday, I got to go to work, I needed the rest. :-)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'm still on my never ending baseboard and window casing project. I got most of the baseboards finished for the living room Just need to nail them in and then I can do the casings. I stripped most of them earlier but now I'm picking paint, filling holes, re surfacing the edges and roundover. rubbing in 3 coats of danish oil. eventually Ill get there but it's just a lot of fussy work. I really extended things by adding strips to the back of all the baseboards. I'm determined to get all the wood parts kicking around my basement installed before I take on new stuff. I can do more oil or maybe shellac once its' all installed but I'm trying to get it to the point where it stops sucking it up so that I dont need to play with that stinky stuff too much in the living room later. Its getting nice and I'd like to finish up the little bit of roofing I have left.

Packing rocks sounds like a tough job. That'll build some muscles if you dont hurt your back.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:35 pm I can do more oil or maybe shellac once it's all installed but I'm trying to get it to the point where it stops sucking it up so that I dont need to play with that stinky stuff too much in the living room later.
My first experience with shellac was recent - putting a finish on my kitchen door which had had a previous life as an exterior door so it needed attention. I found the stuff a pleasure to work with. Here, the 1st coat is shown. As you say, it soaks it up. After fine sanding and a couple more coats, the finish was beautiful. The odor was strong but pleasant and quick to dissipate.

It previously had a 1980s lever-type opener, so at Nostalgic Warehouse I found this Deco-inspired handle set to harmonize with the nickel and chrome of the vintage stove and refrigerator.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

GinaC wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:20 pm Today I put in my new storm door. It's not completely done yet because I need to get a longer strike plate, but it stays closed.

It is a custom ProVia door and has a lifetime warranty on the door and handleset finishes.

The door looks really nice. :thumbup:

I'm still wrangling with my Floor Manager over when we might replace the cheap modern side door that was installed at some point with the single width (panel? Not sure of the terminology or if leaving door as singular gets the point across) French door we found with a FREE sign that is a match to our front door last year.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

phil wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:43 pm{snip}I want to rip it all apart and make it nicer but I'm biding my time because I'm really not prepared for the mess and the long job.
One thing the Floor Manager and I agreed to when the topic off "bathroom restore" came up was we will not be doing so until we can set up an outdoor shower during the work, and obviously it would be done when we wouldn't freeze using same. ;-) I grew up with the toilet right next to the radiator (built into the wall with the cover flush to said wall). To this day, I prefer a warm "seat" in winter, and neither of ours are that! (Although one can argue and not be wrong that we could hook up one of those bidets with a heated seat, to me it just makes more sense to move it near the radiator--as crazy as that makes me, it's a weird nostalgia thing.)
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

Gothichome wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 pmWhat I did this past weekend. Slugged enough stones to fill five more cages down the river bank, just a little more protection for Gothichome. Still have another forty or so feet to make cages for and fill with rocks. Each cage takes about half a ton of rocks, got a good work out. Also got the veggie garden straightened out and almost ready for seeding. And got some of cement board on the walls of the upstairs bathroom.
You may have mentioned this, but how difficult has it been to work with your local government that deal with the riverbank issues? Were you eligible for any grants for that? (Referring to the caged rocks, if I recall right, as part of the retention work.)

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:16 am{snip} My first experience with shellac was recent - putting a finish on my kitchen door which had had a previous life as an exterior door so it needed attention. I found the stuff a pleasure to work with. Here, the 1st coat is shown. As you say, it soaks it up. After fine sanding and a couple more coats, the finish was beautiful. The odor was strong but pleasant and quick to dissipate.

It previously had a 1980s lever-type opener, so at Nostalgic Warehouse I found this Deco-inspired handle set to harmonize with the nickel and chrome of the vintage stove and refrigerator.
Your door looks wonderful. Yours and Phil's post reminded me of something I've been meaning to post about in our house thread. I should do that now.

Love the handle too! Nice find. :thumbup:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily left the valley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:52 am
Gothichome wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 pmWhat I did this past weekend. Slugged enough stones to fill five more cages down the river bank, just a little more protection for Gothichome. Still have another forty or so feet to make cages for and fill with rocks. Each cage takes about half a ton of rocks, got a good work out. Also got the veggie garden straightened out and almost ready for seeding. And got some of cement board on the walls of the upstairs bathroom.
You may have mentioned this, but how difficult has it been to work with your local government that deal with the riverbank issues? Were you eligible for any grants for that? (Referring to the caged rocks, if I recall right, as part of the retention work.)
Lily, I haven’t told them I’m doing it. :eusa-shhh: :eusa-shhh: :eusa-shhh: