Attic renovation

Project updates and progress reports
O2Annie
Settling in

Re: Attic renovation

Post by O2Annie »

Attic album start to ...

I think I have finally figured out how to link an album that I can update with progress photos.

There are photos from before we insulated to present.

At this point we have about 10% of the floor left to finish and then we will move in.
After we get a "feel" for the space we will decide on trim work (suggestions welcome!)...

Enjoy the pictures - let me know if the link is not working!

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

Oh - I also made 2 storm windows a few years ago for the pair of windows in the larger alcove.
Today I got frames made for the 2 storm windows by the stairs - once those are glazed I can put them in and start working on the sash. The sash are in pretty tough shape but I do believe they can be saved.
Once those are done I will move on to the 3 front storm windows... the window restoration is definitely my "favorite" :) since that is what I have become most familiar and comfortable with.
AND I am anxious to show my "smart" nephews (who we are FOREVER indebted to since they did 90% of the work on this attic for free!) that the windows CAN be saved. They like to throw out sarcastic remarks about "these cool new things called double paned windows..". They enjoy watching my blood boil ;-)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the pics worked fine for me and it really shows how you have transformed the space to something nice and usable.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Anne, that attic space looks wonderful. I like the little added touch of trimming out the angles, keeps an original feel to the room.

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

Gothichome wrote:Anne, that attic space looks wonderful. I like the little added touch of trimming out the angles, keeps an original feel to the room.

Thank you! The trimming on the angles is the original corner beams peeking out - They are huge boards, and to get the drywall to cover them would have required building the walls out another 2-3 inches. Since we were leaving the rafters exposed I was hopeful that those corners exposed would help to tie everything together. I am NOT any sort of decorator but we took a chance that it would look OK and it definitely does. I am glad you noticed and commented on them :D

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

What a wonderful space, Annie! What purpose do you plan for it?
Bonnie

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

Just a quick (and rather boring!) update: I have all 6 of the storm windows done and ready to hang.
I need my brawny husband to get up on a very TALL ladder to add the male hook portion of the hangers to the window frames.
I got these hangers:
http://kilianhardware.com/scstsahaga.html

And I plan to use this style of stay, so that we can open them easily in the summer but still latch them securely shut. http://kilianhardware.com/stststwiad.html

Does anyone have experiences with storm window hardware - good or bad? I have not had to put anything new together for this old house (we have been fortunate to have basically all original features to restore, but not replace!) so I am nervous about what to use.
The original storm windows (which I regrettably tossed in duress many years ago - original OHW folks were subject to my lead paint woes) did have very similar hangers on them but all were held shut with wing-nut style fasteners.

When the storms are installed I will dive in to the final 6 windows in the space. With any luck those might be done by next summer...

awomanwithahammer wrote:What a wonderful space, Annie! What purpose do you plan for it?

Thank you, it is a MUCH needed family/TV room area. We have 3 teens and 2 pre-teens in the house and nowhere for anyone to just hang out. Of coarse as far as the hubs knows this is the "man cave" ;-) where he can hang out and have a few cold ones with his friends.

We have not trimmed out the windows or baseboards yet. Still trying to decide what to use, but will likely go with something like rough cut pine...

So that is where we are.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

That is a lovely change to the attic space! Well done!

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

O2Annie wrote:
And I plan to use this style of stay, so that we can open them easily in the summer but still latch them securely shut. http://kilianhardware.com/stststwiad.html

Does anyone have experiences with storm window hardware - good or bad? I have not had to put anything new together for this old house (we have been fortunate to have basically all original features to restore, but not replace!) so I am nervous about what to use.
The original storm windows (which I regrettably tossed in duress many years ago - original OHW folks were subject to my lead paint woes) did have very similar hangers on them but all were held shut with wing-nut style fasteners.

I've looked at those and decided against it. They would be fine until the wind starts to blow. Then you could have a flying storm window on your hands. If you are always around and can go up and shut them for inclement weather then you'd be fine with that setup.

I've used Kilian for all my storm windows. They're a great source. It's more or less what the old timers would have used. Having the option to use stainless is a real plus. We made roughly forty storm windows for our place and I have three to go. Two of those are going to be monsters and quite honestly I just have been putting it off as long as I can.