The bungalow project

Project updates and progress reports
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

The bungalow project

Post by eclecticcottage »

I will, over the next couple days, post the befores. Then the afters as the happen over the next couple months.

I LOVE old homes. Always have. My grandfather was a carpenter and mason, and instilled the value of proper craftsmanship. Although, my grandparents lived in a "new build"-which he built (he was a GC and owned his own business for quite a while). I used to watch This Old House, back in the day when it seemed that they actually restored old homes, as a kid and teen. Circumstances being what they were, I've never had an opportunity to own a "grand" older home. Our first house, The Old House was a 1920's vernacular (picture every kid's house-rectangle with a square on top, a 1 13/4 story) that had been updated in the 70's. We have since sold it-we renoed it and rented it then sold it to the tenants. Our current house, known as The Cottage, is just that-a 1950's summer cottage turned home.

Recently I had a mid life crisis of sorts and decided it was high time to start doing something I dreamed of before I ever saw "flipping shows" or heard the term. I cashed out a retirement account and went in search of a flip. I was open to whatever good candidate I found-cape, ranch, older home. The stars aligned and I have an accepted offer (closing is scheduled for next week) on a (mostly) brick 1920's Craftsman Bungalow.

Don't worry, although much to the chagrin of many, the only major "updates" to "modern" will be vinyl windows (yes, I KNOW, lol, but they will be done), replacing the sinks in the bathrooms with pedestals with single faucets, and covering the flooring with laminate (which will be done in a way that does NOT effect the original floors in any way). The old sashes and sinks will be saved and resold. I am not your typical flipper. Everything I do has been thought about, hashed, rehashed, and pondered over to be sure it is in keeping with the era and style of the house. I will make some compromises to the way a modern family expects to live, but there will be no open concept, no glass tile, the built ins and clawfoot tub are staying. So there it is. Stay tuned!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: The bungalow project

Post by Lily left the valley »

:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: Looking forward to this.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage

As promised, some befores. I'll add more as I tackle individual projects.

kitchen. door to the left goes to a half bath to the right, to the mudroom

door to the left goes to dining room door beyond that to downstairs bedroom, to the right, bonus office/play/craft room

half bath

full bath

random kitchenette in upstairs bedroom which will be removed and sold

living room

dining room

[img]http://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_f/ISew5mq7ms9s3t1000000000.jpg[img]

bonus room

downstairs bedroom

upstairs bedroom

upstairs bedoom

hall upstairs

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Lots of potential! Those vinyl tile floors are just screaming "asbestos" though.

eclecticcottage

Yes they are. Luckily I'm the owner so I can remove them (with a mask). It's a "hazard" of old homes-most of them have them, even if they are buried under other flooring.

eclecticcottage

Did the final walk through today, still scheduled to close wednesday. Confirmed the upstairs sink is rather rusty. Also noticed the shower on the clawfoot has a random piece of copper in it, so I'll be looking for that and the curtain rod now. Found a number of places where the plaster is quite loose and moves easily when poked at. Mostly all as it was when I saw it last, although there seems to be more cracks in the ceilings. No new pics. Stuck a few paint chips up here and there, and picked up about 30 more lol. Also found a HD with the schoolhouse light I wanted in stock so I grabbed it. Still need over sink lighting but at least I got the big one. I found all the sconces are replacements. There is ONE original fixture hiding out in an un-original location. It's just the base though, the globe is mia. I really want to reuse it, the whole rewiring thing is putting me off of it. I'll see-if it's straightforward enough, I will do it. But I have to feel confident in doing it safely.

I know this isn't a pure, true restoration so some folks might be a little off put by me and this house. I promise that while it won't be a resto, I will be mindful of what it is and try my best to keep with the history of it. I know some things I'll do will make someone cringe, but in the end if I can reach my goal, it will be a great house for a family for many, many more years-and I will have the funds to move to the next one. I already have one on mind. It's not for sale but I know it's in preforclosure (Lis Pendens) and it's a lovely old place, been vacant about 5 or 6 years now.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Just my personal experience but I feel I'm actually faster patching with real plaster than cutting complex-shaped plasterboard patches and feathering them in. You simply trowel on plaster until the hole is reasonably full and scrape off any excess with a long spirit level or reasonably straight board long enough to span the entire hole. Once that base coat is solid you skim to a smooth surface as you'd do with a plasterboard patch.

eclecticcottage

It has a blog now http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot.com/ lawyer is set to close tomorrow am. :dance:

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

eclecticcottage wrote:It has a blog now http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot.com/ lawyer is set to close tomorrow am. :dance:

Awesome! You should submit it to the blog roll in the Library if you haven't already
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Best of luck with a smooth closing. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

I don't know why, but the ivy wallpaper in the upper hall is growing on me the more I see it, and I'm not one for wallpaper.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.