The bungalow project

Project updates and progress reports
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: The bungalow project

Post by awomanwithahammer »

EC, I've just found this thread and read it through. I think we are very similar in our goals. I love old houses, but I also think that they have to be liveable for modern families, so I'm not looking to recreate a museum. No one on this forum has ever been less than kind, and everyone has been incredibly helpful, but I sometimes feel that my ideas might not conform to the kind of restoration that most everyone here does.

I'm also trying to find my next house. Inventory is so tight here that everything that is reasonably priced goes pending within 24 hours! So I am looking at houses that are very obviously vacant and tracking down the owner. I lost the one I really, really wanted to a developer, but I have another one in mind. I'm also with you on going a little smaller next time! The house I'm working on now is almost 1800 sq ft, and the one I'm looking at is about 1000.

I hope everything is going OK. It has been a while since you posted!
Bonnie

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Hey all, still alive and kickin. Had a weird couple months with some personal....ah...stuff. Set back the project a bit, fired the drywall guy and am in the process of trying to get her all finished up to hit the market. Came near to living in it instead but it's still just to big of a house with too small a lot for me personally. I really need to update the blog and pics. Some things have changed but mostly it's going as originally planned-just slower! All one color scheme of white walls and gray trim-it looks fantastic and I HATE white walls as a general rule. It is SUCH a pretty house. I did close on the wreck of a cottage and it's mostly gutted to the studs-and now is waiting on this one to be complete. I am also under contract on another that will be a rental, it's a pretty decent old place that's an estate. Needs a LOT of cleaning and painting. Like, my agent didn't really want to walk through it lol. Funny little note-while down at the local pizza place the owner asked if I just bought the big house down the street. After a conversation about it, she said thank you for fixing it up. It makes me happy that the neighborhood in general is behind this project. I'm more going for decent rentals that don't need complete renos for now after the bungalow, but am open for a "flip" along the way-just not one that is so big lol.

awomanwithahammer

Hey, EC, glad to see you back! Sorry about the personal...ah...stuff. It does get in the way sometimes.

The house sounds lovely; any pictures of the finished project? That is nice that people notice the work you're doing.
Bonnie

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Good to hear from you. I hope the stuff is behind you. It sounds like you've got quite a heavy load of plans this year.

Awaiting pics patiently when time allows. :popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage

Run by posting with a couple pics
Attachments
IMAG0469.jpg
IMAG0469.jpg (422.1 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMAG0480.jpg
IMAG0480.jpg (447.36 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMAG0529.jpg
IMAG0529.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMAG0558.jpg
IMAG0558.jpg (420 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMAG0563.jpg
IMAG0563.jpg (493.8 KiB) Viewed 1056 times

eclecticcottage

Wreck of a cottage
Attachments
IMAG0369.jpg
IMAG0369.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMAG0370.jpg
IMAG0370.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1056 times

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

As long as it's not as bad as Daniel Kanter's Olivebridge Cottage everything's alright! :D

eclecticcottage

Found the blog will have to read about it. It needs sill repair so everything is coming out including floors. It's small though so that is a bonus.

Personal stuff. Kind of behind, kind if will now be part of me. Got pregnant on by but lost it a few weeks in. We are OK but it stopped me in my tracks (Uh full Reno probably not good when pregnant lol) and then a bit emotional when we lost it (obviously unplanned but wanted). Threw off timeline and in the mean time the drywaller became unreliable do had to send him packing. So many little things to finish! Probably won't be looking for such a big house in need of so much again lol. The door trim in the pic was just made from scratch (mia originally). Getting there but slow going. Also working part time now so fully commuted to needing this to work. Is what it is. Still love the house though and still glad I am taking things journey.

awomanwithahammer

EC, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you are giving yourself time to grieve. The house will wait for you.

I was going to mention the door trim--it's exactly like mine. And unreliable drywallers is one reason why I decided to learn how to finish drywall!

My thoughts are with you.
Bonnie

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Yikes, EC. I've been there, though I didn't have a house reno project at the same time. (Rigging FT, though.)

I'll echo Bonnie in my hope that you both are getting some down time to heal from the loss.

The new cottage certainly is...a blank slate?

Hang in there.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.