The bungalow project

Project updates and progress reports
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: The bungalow project

Post by Willa »

I really like the painted floors. The light grey looks bright but serviceable. It's a nice change to not see the grey/taupe walls + white trim that is everywhere here.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Thanks! I know it's not correct for the house style, but it was already done-it just looked horrible after years of abuse. I was caught between going with brown again (kind of fakes you out at first and you don't immediately think PAINTED FLOORS) or matching the trim color. Popular vote was for the gray, which was my first choice also. I've also started painting the doors, which hadn't been painted but were so beat up they all required a lot of filler-so, paint. I honestly REALLY like it. It's taking a while to do paint even, with a lot of painters caulk and cleaning of trim needed. I am SSSSOOOOO glad it didn't have crown too! I literally spent a day mopping and remopping the floors upstairs to actually get them clean enough to paint. I still have to hang a door-for whatever reason the hinges that were left (the door wasn't hung when I bought the house) are not the correct ones-I have one door side and one trim side, and the door has the trim side ones mounted on it :think: I need to scavange the correct hardware. Upstairs is finally getting there though. Someone seems to have misplaced the screws for the heat vent grates so I need to pick up a couple-I repainted them black and they look so much better now.

I was originally going to paint different wall colors in different rooms but quickly realized I needed to spray the walls, rolling was going to take FOR-EVER. So, it had to be one color for easier work. I am also pretty bored of beige (actually, I HATE beige, although I had considered a cream color) and while I do like the gray walls/white trim it seems really over done. It had a neat green color on the trim at one point but with resale in mind, the popularity of gray won-plus it's a nice light color scheme, which is enhanced by a LOT of windows, so the house seems really light and airy. I almost never need a light on.
Attachments
20374589_1432248893534792_4181137237879959747_n.jpg
20374589_1432248893534792_4181137237879959747_n.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
20294023_1432248923534789_3405318640478990418_n.jpg
20294023_1432248923534789_3405318640478990418_n.jpg (19.73 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

eclecticcottage

oaktree wrote:I really like the white with the light grey trim! And with the silver fixtures...really lovely!

You have this same color scheme somewhere, right? :thumbup:

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

eclecticcottage wrote:
oaktree wrote:I really like the white with the light grey trim! And with the silver fixtures...really lovely!

You have this same color scheme somewhere, right? :thumbup:

Kind of similar! I went with a warm white and I guess you'd call it "greige" to match the beige vinyl windows previous owners installed. It made the windows look a lot better. I'm extremely happy with it and agree with you and others that it's refreshing compared to the reverse...in my era of home, it was usual to paint the trim a few shades darker than the wall colors. But I didn't do what is typical for the era of my home in the opposite way...my house should have painted floors, but I have clear poly.

Love the other pictures, and I like that accent of that nice black grate! It looks full of light, like it's almost glowing. I really like the grey floors!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

It looks very nice with the painted floors! I'm probably going with the white trim/beige-ish walls just for resale. I never buy a particular shade, though--I buy marked-down mistint returns at Lowe's and HD, and mix them all together until I get a shade I like. I've gotten some really pretty colors that way!
Bonnie

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Things are really coming together. You've gotten an amazing amount of work done, and the results are markedly different from earlier images. I hope the new owners appreciate all you've done when the time comes.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage

So that door I had to hang. It is apparently from another place in the house because it is a little bigger than the opening. I am going to cut it down to fit because I can only guess it belongs between the living and dining rooms but I need a bedroom door a lit more than a door there. The built in is finally coming together and floors are being laid in the kitchen. The mudroom has had another coat of white paint, with yet another needed because the crazy blue paint that was there is still showing as a hint of color to me
Attachments
IMAG0774.jpg
IMAG0774.jpg (409.47 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMAG0782.jpg
IMAG0782.jpg (435.32 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMAG0783.jpg
IMAG0783.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 969 times

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

All looking good, EC. I especially like the built-ins with the plugs. Will the refrigerator go between them?
Bonnie

eclecticcottage

Thanks! Yes, that's for the fridge. We had to cut out that space and bump into a bedroom on the other side of the wall for it. There is just no good place for a fridge in the kitchen otherwise. We did ask the son of the PO (he's stopped by a couple times) and they put it between the door to the mudroom/basement and the 1/2 bath-but it made it really hard to get to the bathroom. It took a lot of debate and several trips to kitchen designers to decide to do it. In the end it was the best way to save as much of them as possible while making it livable. It was a GIANT pita to do since they aren't square but it's coming together.

This is the before

and the spot between the doors where the only heat duct is, is where they used to put the fridge

This is a good overview of the kitchen when the plaster was down between the dining room and kitchen. This wall is now where the stove is, and there are new cabinets on the window wall. You can see there was just no where for the fridge! With the size of the windows, there wasn't a place for the fridge and stove and sink, and for all of them to stay out of the way of the mudroom door (the one on the right)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

The work around for the fridge with the built is looking nice in its progress. Adding the butcher block as counter top blends well with the period cabinetry. I'm still very glad you kept the ones you removed and found another place for them. :thumbup:

Coming along well!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.