The bungalow project

Project updates and progress reports
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Re: The bungalow project

Post by eclecticcottage »

Thanks guys. We took some time but we are behind so not a lot. It might be better that way, not dwelling on it. We just spent a couple days in MD with our nieces so back to work now. Getting there on the kitchen and upstairs bath. Here is the current state of the kitchen. Butcher block counters to deal with the windows being lower than standard height. The sink is the one from the upstairs kitchen, a 1960s era crane. Heavy as heck but pretty.

The new cottage and is a certainly a blank slate! I have it sketched ou already, it will be a two bedroom with a kitchen open to a nice living room with just enough space for a stacked laundry. You can see the lake from the front yard. Has a beautiful stamped patio out back that probably cost more than I paid for the place lol.
Attachments
IMAG0599.jpg
IMAG0599.jpg (988.29 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
IMAG0597.jpg
IMAG0597.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1590 times

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Texas_Ranger wrote:As long as it's not as bad as Daniel Kanter's Olivebridge Cottage everything's alright! :D
I love Manhattan Nest! But.. :shock: that project would have sent me running.

EC, I did wonder when this thread became so quiet after so much activity. I'm so sorry for your loss. And so glad you're feeling well enough to post. I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

eclecticcottage

Also, that yellow trim around the window will be painted gray, it just got put back up. The pantry to the left is because the depth of the wall between the door and sidewall isn't enough to fit a standard cabinet. It was between that and a bath vanity, but they didn't have a vanity in this cabinet style, so we went with the pantry-more storage anyway that way. The empty spot next to it is for a dishwasher. Heading there now to work on the upstairs bath and kitchen flooring.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Sara wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:As long as it's not as bad as Daniel Kanter's Olivebridge Cottage everything's alright! :D
I love Manhattan Nest! But.. :shock: that project would have sent me running.

EC, I did wonder when this thread became so quiet after so much activity. I'm so sorry for your loss. And so glad you're feeling well enough to post. I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

Oh yes!

I believe almost anyone would have considered that a teardown! It's single-handedly the worst construction nightmare I've ever heard of! Or rather the worst collection of construction nightmares in one building I should say.

eclecticcottage

I didn't think it was that bad lol. I need to read the blog.

The bathroom as of today. The hottest room in the house.
Attachments
IMAG0607.jpg
IMAG0607.jpg (411.88 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
IMAG0606.jpg
IMAG0606.jpg (447.33 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Looking terrific!

A brief summary of Olivebridge Cottage as I remember it: rot and mould everywhere in the walls, no or completely undersized foundations under most parts of the house, ridiculously built roof (fibreglass porch roof with layers of tar and then shingles on top, making it look like a proper roof), chewed-up DIY wiring, bare wires due to squirrels chewing off the plastic, etc. etc. Basically they had to rebuild at least 75% from the ground up!

eclecticcottage

Thanks! Leave it to me to pick a hot sunny day to work in the one room that doesn't seem very cool (the downstairs in particular has a "natural ac" effect-even my contractor thought the house had AC when he stopped by the other day). Got the trim painted but need to install it, then the toilet and vanity.

Read some of the blog...and...I am thinking these are folks that don't touch cottages much lol. It's standard sounding cottage stuff-diy and not to code. My cottage was redone by a school teacher with a couple books. So...yeah. :doh: :lol: It's small and fixable. Looked at one close by but couldn't agree on a price that had a weird addition of only about a 1' on the front-which was added onto a different addition. Still can't figure out why someone went to the hassle of adding on to the roof and walls for a foot, but...it's a cottage lol.

Someone bought the arts and crafts mutt I made an offer on and has the outside all cleaned up. Waiting to see what all they do to it-I wonder if they realized what they bought yet-a small house with a big house built around it, resting on the structure of the original small house.

eclecticcottage

Almost done on the full bath. Need some trim touch-up and to finish plumbing.
Attachments
IMAG0612.jpg
IMAG0612.jpg (521.77 KiB) Viewed 1505 times

eclecticcottage

The closets upstairs are mostly done. Also, while it might not be a popular decision, I painted the floors upstairs. They were already painted brown but it was in poor shape. I could have refinished them but his was quicker and a lot easier than hauling a floor sander up there.
Attachments
IMAG0760.jpg
IMAG0760.jpg (465.81 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
IMAG0762.jpg
IMAG0762.jpg (420.98 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
IMAG0768.jpg
IMAG0768.jpg (427.66 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

I really like the white with the light grey trim! And with the silver fixtures...really lovely!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan