New Front Porch

Project updates and progress reports
Mick_VT

Re: New Front Porch

Post by Mick_VT »

Nicholas wrote:
Chadzeilenga wrote:Hi All,
Made quite a bit of progress on the porch rebuild. Any one have a suggestion on a good filler to use that can be painted over?

Those are great pics of the tree and house.

There is a woodfiller at your Lowes Depot store that is very similar to "Bondo" for auto body work, comes with hardener, in fact I am pretty sure it is Bondo. Says right there that it adheres to metal and fiberglass. If you need a lot it may be cheaper to buy bondo at an auto store.

I used it to fill in some rough areas on my porch.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-High-Pe ... /999916297

I can confirm that bondo works extremely well as an exterior wood filler. I used it in several places about seven years ago and it is still holding strong
Mick...

Chadzeilenga
Knows the area

Filler material

Post by Chadzeilenga »

Thanks all for the advice on filler material.

I have the porch base done and next step is to repair the rotted post. Any suggestions on how to repair this bottom?

IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG (1000.21 KiB) Viewed 632 times

IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG (977.74 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Chad & Annie
1904 Folk Victorian

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Cut off and do a pegged lap joint. That's not worth saving!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

+1 on that, also get a galvanized post stand-off to lift it from the deck to stop it wicking up the moisture. You can then cover the stand-off (that might be the wrong term) with a pressure treated base molding. You can also use one of these instead of galvanized if you prefer. Basicly it just lifts the post up so standing water doesnt creep in
Mick...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Cut off and do a pegged lap joint. That's not worth saving!
+1 on that, also get a galvanized post stand-off to lift it from the deck to stop it wicking up the moisture. You can then cover the stand-off (that might be the wrong term) with a pressure treated base molding

What on earth is going on here?!? Someone managed to write into my post! What kind of crazy bug is that?

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

It may be that any mod of this forum can edit posts (as part of moderator duties, not anything nefarious), and a mod may have accidentally clicked edit instead of quote and didn't realize it before they submitted their post.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Texas_Ranger wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:Cut off and do a pegged lap joint. That's not worth saving!
+1 on that, also get a galvanized post stand-off to lift it from the deck to stop it wicking up the moisture. You can then cover the stand-off (that might be the wrong term) with a pressure treated base molding

What on earth is going on here?!? Someone managed to write into my post! What kind of crazy bug is that?

My bad Texas, I apparently did exactly what Lily speculated! I fixed it :silent:
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

As an admin/mod on other forums...been there, done this! ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I used it to plug up some knot holes in otherwise good boards for the risers on my outdor stairs. i also found that if I used the red catalist the color worked out just right.
what I do is drive some screws in the knot holes at an angle so the heads are protruding into the hole, then the filler couldn't fall out if it wanted to.

Chadzeilenga
Knows the area

Post by Chadzeilenga »

Pegged lap joint, I'll have to read up on that. I'm assuming that the dimensions of the original post won't match up with current lumber dimensions.
Chad & Annie
1904 Folk Victorian