The Kitchen is Finished!

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Re: The Kitchen is Finished!

Post by Gothichome »

As others have said, it's a very nice kitchen, the black board wall is a pretty nifty idea. well done.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

What a lovely kitchen!! You have done a wonderful job. Gorgeous! Good work.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Beautiful! I had the same struggle with my 1800s house. I love your paint colors!!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Its beautiful!

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Very nice!
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your kind comments.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Oh man, that is one nice kitchen! Although you went with a more "modern" kitchen, it has such a nice blend into your old house. My house is also from the 1880s, and I have gotten a few ideas for my own kitchen. Absolutely lovely!

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

SouthernLady wrote:Oh man, that is one nice kitchen! Although you went with a more "modern" kitchen, it has such a nice blend into your old house. My house is also from the 1880s, and I have gotten a few ideas for my own kitchen. Absolutely lovely!

Thank you, Southern Lady!

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

Kitchens are always tricky, but that's a lovely kitchen. Also, I hardly even noticed the kitchen door in the "before" pictures but my eyes went right to it in the "after" pictures. I LOVE that door. Although you had to lose some elements like plaster, it seems like you've really highlighted what is left.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

it looks beautiful ! when I designed mine I tried a layout where I had the fridge on one side and the sink on the other with the table between and I found that part made me crazy especially if people were sat at the table. Maybe since it's an island not a table you at least have place in between to put things down. I also found that any other layout I tried seemed to put the fridge in the middle of the room and that just didn't' look nice. At one point I designed it the way my wife wanted and put the sink in the island in the middle of the kitchen but I never liked that plan all the time I was building it because I can't have a dining room so it needed a kitchen table. . Before I got finished we separated so I cut that island in half and moved it closer to the fridge. Communicating about the layout was a very sensitive issue because I was building it and didn't like the design so it was hard to put my heart into it. I made a scale drawing so I could keep repositioning the appliances , sink etc to explore all the possibilities but my wife flat out refused to discuss it properly or play that little game. , I got so frustrated.
I like my layout now but I need more counter space. I do plan to add more. It's really a trade off of so many things when fitting a kitchen into an already existing space. I kind of liked my original layout because the sink overlooked the back yard, but I guess it's minor, I can still see the back yard and I have the option to put a table or nook near that back yard facing window. I figured if I kept that wall open I wouldn't lock myself in if I wanted to put an addition on the back of the house and then I could add a separate dining area. For me I found that I didn't' really cook enough to care so much where the stove was but that path between the fridge and the sink seemed so important to me. like yours, it's not a tiny space but making it all work had some real challenges.
so are you now putting a table over on the other side where the fridge was? or do you have a separate eating area? i dont' see anywhere to sit so you must have a dining area in your house. Mine never had one.
Phil