The Kitchen is Finished!

Project updates and progress reports
BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

The Kitchen is Finished!

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

I know that I am not here nearly as much as I could be, but I wanted to share the new kitchen. Our house was built in the 1880s. The kitchen we had before was built in the 1960s, and it was partially salvaged using cabinetry from the 1940s and 1950s.

We wanted an updated kitchen with modern amenities, but I honestly did not want an 1800s kitchen. The compromise was that we kept original windows and doors (of course!), but everything else that we put in can be removed or changed without damaging the kitchen if someone else wants an 1800s kitchen someday. We aimed to keep it classic.

One disappointment is that we now have drywall walls instead of plaster in the kitchen. We opted to do that since the electrical needed to be added to and upgraded. Honestly, that was the hardest part for me about the demo. At some point, the ceiling had already been replaced with drywall. That stayed intact. The flip side to that is that I care very little if I poke holes in it to hang things. :P

Special thanks to those of you who answered questions about how to properly refinish the near-perfect, original wood floors that we found under layers of linoleum and vinyl. :dance: The floor was covered with a thick layer of grey paint, but now it looks terrific. I couldn't have done it without this site.

Old Kitchen:

After:

The floors!

There are more pictures on the blog if you are interested. The link is in my signature. There are also links to the whole process along the way. The project was a collaboration between DIY and Lowe's.
Last edited by BlakeHillHouse on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Mick_VT

Re: The Kitchen is Finished!

Post by Mick_VT »

Looks great Stacy! Come visit more often we miss you! :D
Mick...

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Beautiful! Updated but still fits perfectly.
Etta says "WOOF"

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Nice! I like the tile behind the range. And that island counter is stunning!

Sinoed
Knows the area

Post by Sinoed »

Tasteful, classic and absolutely gorgeous - nice job! :thumbup:

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Mick_VT wrote:Looks great Stacy! Come visit more often we miss you! :D

I will sure try to. Now that our summer work is wrapping up, I might have more time. I really want to see how everyone is doing with their houses. I imagine plenty got done over the summer.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

mjt wrote:Nice! I like the tile behind the range. And that island counter is stunning!

Thank you! That island top was a lucky find. Our contractor knew a woodworker in our area. I called expecting the price to be crazy high. It wasn't. It was far cheaper than buying it online with shipping and fees or using different woodworkers in the area. :o

It came unfinished. I finished it with Waterlox.

The tile came from Overstock.com.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Thank you, everyone. It feels amazing to be done with it. It's the last huge cosmetic change we need to make. We will do the upstairs bathroom at some time, but that should not be as costly.

Now, we should just have to sit around and wait for things to break. I'm sure we won't be waiting long. :icon-lol:

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

WOWZA!!! must be great to home to your new kitchen....very tasteful, functional and fun...
enjoy it!
...jade

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Pretty!