Phil's living room

Project updates and progress reports
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Phil's living room

Post by phil »

I just wasn't quite happy with the consistency of the sheen so I'm wet sanding the poly with 320 grit wet with mineral spirits.. that will cut it down flatter, then I can give it another coat of the satin and the sheen should be more even. lots of scrubbing..

phil

Post by phil »

I sanded the whole floor with wet or dry 320 and mineral spirits and did a last coat. The pics are very yellow with my metal halide light. Ill try to remember to get a pic in the daytime , but I'm pretty happy with it now.. Putting the baseboards and trim back is next on the agenda.
Attachments
IMG-270.jpg
IMG-270.jpg (234.74 KiB) Viewed 667 times
IMG-2712.jpg
IMG-2712.jpg (161.81 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Looking good Phill. Be a shame to cover your work with a carpet.

phil

Post by phil »

Thanks Gothic!
Hoping I can find an area rug for not too much. It won't hurt to cure for a while for the time being. Its got some old marks, for sure.. but it'll look ok once the room is populated with stuff. its easy to clean now. I have all the main floor, the stairs, the attic floor even all the closets are all finished to match. the only flooring I didn't get to is under the tile in the bathroom and it can stay like that until I build a bathroom in the basement. the fireplace and windows and baseboards all need work in the living room but at least the really messy and stinky parts are done and I can put some furniture in there the rest can happen as piecemeal. It looks funny with no casings or baseboards but they are mostly stripped and lying in the basement waiting to get finished and go back. Im planning to do a picture rail where the paint colors meet about 16" from the ceiling. Later I might do some wainscott but no rush for that. Im thinking of putting spacers behind the baseboards so wainscott doesn't bury them. the rest of the house is too crammed so I'm looking at pairing down and clearing space. Going to rent out a room to help with the mortgage because it is eating me, but I need to find someone that is suitable. Probably a student, that way they have a move out date and not a lot of stuff to move in and out. Taking all the walls and ceiling apart and doing insulation and soundproofing made a huge difference to the traffic noise in the living room but wow that was a lot of work.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Good lord you are fussy, lol. But the result clearly justifies all time spent. Very nice....Mal

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Looking good, Phil. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

I decided to just move back in for now.. a year and a half with no living room was enough! at least the really upsetting stuff is done, electrical , the floor, ceiliing.. Now I still need to tackle fireplace cover and windows, window coverings, and baseboards, picture rail.. etc. That is going to have to happen in piecemeal now. I couldn't stand being packed up tight and living in the kitchen any more.