Got a Before & After to share? Let's see 'em!

Project updates and progress reports
nhguy
Stalwart

Re: Got a Before & After to share? Let's see 'em!

Post by nhguy »

Gothichome wrote:Yes I recall, amazing they removed the whole first floor out from underneath the second. Have you found a reason for such an operation?
The son of the original owners attended Yale to study law class of 1898, he came back here to practice, but hated it. He then went into real estate development, proceeding to build many houses, but his parents wanted to live on the ocean. He took the top of the house off put it on a rail car then shipped it to Hull, MA where he built them a home. He then turned this place into an arts and crafts bungalow. I found his original check registers in the barn when I was renovating it, he started the business according to what I could tell in 1896, so a little earlier than the story I was told.We bought the place from the family he sold to in 1914.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

So it was the second floor that went missing. First floor or second floor it’s a great story to go with the house. Maybe a trip to the ocean side may be in order to find the top half of your home.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Gothichome wrote:So it was the second floor that went missing. First floor or second floor it’s a great story to go with the house. Maybe a trip to the ocean side may be in order to find the top half of your home.

I called the historical society in Hull, MA a few years ago. The gentleman in charge of architecture told me he wasn't aware of that story. I sent him the story via email, as written by the former owner. He said he would check into it, but I never heard back. I looked up the records online and found the son living there after the parents passed away. He summered in Hull and wintered in Worcester, MA until he died in 1937. They were Fred E. and Clemintine Richardson pretty easy to find, but I ran into a dead end in Hull at least so far. At some point I'll make a trip there to check into it.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Mission Buffet.jpg
Mission Buffet.jpg (118.75 KiB) Viewed 10496 times
I found a mission buffet in tiger oak today, so I drove 300 miles round trip to buy it, $200.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

That’s a great looking buffet in quarter sawn oak, and with great A&C styling. Cost you more in fuel. $200, a descent price.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

oh nhguy, that is gorgeous! well worth the travel....enjoy!

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

heartwood wrote:oh nhguy, that is gorgeous! well worth the travel....enjoy!

Thank-you, it does look good in the room. Only our second Arts and Crafts piece.
It kept bothering me that something was missing on the back. You can see the gap in the back right corner.
The piece is some king of flame oak, no available anywhere except with a one way 160 mile drive. I bought some red oak that appeared to have some figuring on it. I researched and these sideboards often had plate holders, so I went with that.
I cut all the pieces and dry fit them them, sanded with an orbital sander. Then two coats of dark walnut stain, followed by two coats of Watco dark walnut. Two coats of amber shellac, then rubbed with a superfine plastic steel wool. Finally a coat of dark Briwax. rubbed and buffed. The wax I put on after the assembly. I also put up the chandelier we bought, which really makes the room.
plateholder2.JPG
plateholder2.JPG (409.26 KiB) Viewed 10430 times
plateholder3.JPG
plateholder3.JPG (83.84 KiB) Viewed 10430 times
chandelier.JPG
chandelier.JPG (83.91 KiB) Viewed 10430 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well that plate rack brings up the craftsman look to a new level. You’ll have to hunt down some proper plates like this to go in the rack.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bf/23/c4/bf23 ... -homes.jpg
And you are correct, your new old ceiling fixture completes the room.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Gothichome wrote:Well that plate rack brings up the craftsman look to a new level. You’ll have to hunt down some proper plates like this to go in the rack.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bf/23/c4/bf23 ... -homes.jpg
And you are correct, your new old ceiling fixture completes the room.

My wife said they didn't go as well, but they were the only thing I could get my hands on that were vintage. I love those hammered copper plates. I did the top of the buffet with the same dark wax and it looks even better now. Thanks for the idea on the plates. I saw a few true lantern style chandeliers, but my wife didn't like them, we ended up both liking this one, not exactly the Arts and Crafts style, but it goes with the room well enough.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Your added bits really tied in nicely ! a lot of that old oak was ammonia fumed. The ammonia brings out the definition much like a stain but its also a poisonous gas so it isn't commonly used today.