Got a Before & After to share? Let's see 'em!

Project updates and progress reports
BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Re: Got a Before & After to share? Let's see 'em!

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Willa wrote:
Boy, what some elbow grease and a few coats of paint can do ! Your improvements look fantastic. I had to go back and check your before photos to see that was the original door. It looks really fresh, in a color combination that works really well.

Thank you, Willa, Manalto, and Gothichome

It is hard to believe that the red door was there before the reno. It is one of my favorite things about that porch because the hall behind it is so long and dark. The panels of glass transform an otherwise dark and gloomy space.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

One big thing we got done this year (well should be finished in a week or so) is to save a barn we have. When we bought this property there were 3 big out buildings in the back yard. 2 of them I had to just demolish rather than fix. The house itself needed so much work I knew we could not afford to save all 3 out buildings, so we did not knock down the barn. Last year I was able to put a sorely needed new roof on the barn to help stop further deterioration, and this year I finally got someone to repair and save the barn.

35D4501C-E66E-4C49-95ED-F2661E86CD73.jpeg
35D4501C-E66E-4C49-95ED-F2661E86CD73.jpeg (892.61 KiB) Viewed 10737 times
314FC52A-7AA5-48B8-A2F8-6B3345A380BF.jpeg
314FC52A-7AA5-48B8-A2F8-6B3345A380BF.jpeg (736.14 KiB) Viewed 10737 times

563D146D-84BF-47FC-9198-5F4B182828B9.jpeg
563D146D-84BF-47FC-9198-5F4B182828B9.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 10737 times

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

I love that old barn! What a great job they did.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

I typed a response and I thought I posted it, but let me try again...

Thanks! I am very happy to have a usable building now, just waiting for the door hardware, and have to get the light fixtures in. The old barn had electricity and water, both not working, but we put in new for both also, so I hope to make good use of the building.

When we were removing everything and getting the dirt floor ready to have concrete poured, we found an inscription in the old concrete foundation that said “S.E. Tuthill Builder 1917”. In my head the barn was from the 40’s or 50’s, but it was actually built 2 years after the house, so that makes me even happier that we saved it.

When we first moved in, I removed one of the window stops in the house and found stamped on the other side of the wood was “S. Edgar Tuthill Southold”. I researched in old newspapers here and found this name as a local builder back then. I even found a notice in the paper about the house being built.

House Newspaper Clippings.png
House Newspaper Clippings.png (158.66 KiB) Viewed 10644 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ken, that’s a great bit of history to find. You now know the builder and original owner. By the way nice that you were able to save the barn and get some work shop space, some thing I envy.
Was the property a working farm in 1914?

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Gothichome wrote:Ken, that’s a great bit of history to find. You now know the builder and original owner. By the way nice that you were able to save the barn and get some work shop space, some thing I envy.
Was the property a working farm in 1914?

Yes I am very happy to be getting work shop space. Our basement is very dungeon - like, half the basement floor is dirt, no light or air. The space in the barn will be great, no insulation or heat but much nicer than the basement. First job will be to build some workbenches, so I can get to work fixing everything else, I guess no more procrastinating.

I know a fair amount about the history of the house, we are just the third owners. The person who built the house was born across the street. They grew cauliflower, potatoes, and at some point Christmas trees. The property was part of a farm, but I am not sure of the boundaries at the time, and I know he bought another farm close by a few years later. His parents across the street also had that large farm there which is now a development.

It’s interesting how much I can find in old newspapers. I ran across a site that has digitized copies of historical newspapers, and you can search for text. The old local newspapers were like the Facebook of the day, with sections for every hamlet giving all the local social news. They talk about who is visiting in town, who had a nice dinner party, who is going on a trip, etc. I learned quite a bit about the lives of the people who built this house.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

New Light.jpg
New Light.jpg (103.05 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
Well I've been working on the dining room for three weeks on and off, its done in time for Christmas, which was my goal. We just ordered a nice 1910ish light, but it's coming from CA all the way to us in NH, so it will take a week or so.
dining before.JPG
dining before.JPG (206.22 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
dining before1.JPG
dining before1.JPG (197.29 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
dining after2.JPG
dining after2.JPG (109.53 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
dining after.JPG
dining after.JPG (144.13 KiB) Viewed 10595 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

NHguy, your dinning room looks great, the old version was nice with the county kitchen look but the room really stands out in it’s new colours. You’re pan light will fit in nicely. That angled entrance is a bit unusual.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Gothichome wrote:NHguy, your dinning room looks great, the old version was nice with the county kitchen look but the room really stands out in it’s new colours. You’re pan light will fit in nicely. That angled entrance is a bit unusual.

The house was originally a victorian style, before being turned into an arts and crafts bungalow. There was an octagonal tower above this room, so that's why it had the odd wall.
Original House.jpg
Original House.jpg (319.61 KiB) Viewed 10585 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Yes I recall, amazing they removed the whole first floor out from underneath the second. Have you found a reason for such an operation?