Colonial Revival Western MA

Project updates and progress reports
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Colonial Revival Western MA

Post by Lily left the valley »

Great pictures, and an even better list to keep in mind.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

Post by maxhall1023 »

these next 2 pics show my best "ger er done" idea. Pretty proud of this one.
Attachments
brscissor2.jpg
brscissor2.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 859 times
brscissor1.jpg
brscissor1.jpg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 859 times

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yes, clever & interesting solutions. I've been known to devise similar ones! Your results are impressive. Very attractive overall.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

It's such a pity that beadboard is no longer available anywhere in central Europe! It used to be quite common, especially in restaurants and bars but all you can buy these days looks like 1970s. Sweden seems to be the only country where true bead board is still in production.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Texas_Ranger wrote:It's such a pity that beadboard is no longer available anywhere in central Europe! It used to be quite common, especially in restaurants and bars but all you can buy these days looks like 1970s. Sweden seems to be the only country where true bead board is still in production.

you can buy router bits to make your own... time consuming though
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well done, oh, and don't forget to put the jack back in the car. You'll be upset, realy upset if you get a flat and then remember were you jack is, and it is not in the trunk. :doh:

maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

Post by maxhall1023 »

Gothichome wrote:Well done, oh, and don't forget to put the jack back in the car. You'll be upset, realy upset if you get a flat and then remember were you jack is, and it is not in the trunk. :doh:

No kidding... it went right back in the car. That would be awful.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Mick_VT wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:It's such a pity that beadboard is no longer available anywhere in central Europe! It used to be quite common, especially in restaurants and bars but all you can buy these days looks like 1970s. Sweden seems to be the only country where true bead board is still in production.

you can buy router bits to make your own... time consuming though

Not even that seems to be easy (besides I don't own a router table). The only thing I've found in Europe was a router bit from a British company that looked right at a first glance but was much too large.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the house is looking amazing !
I wouldn't buy a router table unless space is not a concern. If you have a tablesaw just mount a router upside down on the side table. lower it clear of the table when not in use. You can get a jig to raise and lower the router. For the amount I do I just go under the table and fiddle with the height but they are nice if you do lots. If you wanted to do lots you could buy a shaper, just look for woodworking company auctions, then sell it when you've done all you need. If you can't buy the blades you can grind your own shape or there are companies that will make the shape you want. most of the commercial ones have multiple cutters but you can get by with just one cutter if you slow the feed rate accordingly and so long as balance isn't an issue. the cost of the blade might pale in comparison to the wood for a beadboard ceiling.

one easy way to lift is just to cut a 2x4 so it won't quite fit vertically. you can set it on plywood if you want. then just kick it towards vertical, You can lift tremendous weight that way.

maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

Post by maxhall1023 »

Thanks for the compliments Phil. I'm slowly acquiring old quality tools from CL and auction websites. Thankfully I'm relatively comfortable with electrical issues and VFD's so that opens up alot of doors. I have a PM 66, a 16" craftsman BS, a 8ft blount pattern makers lathe, and a minimax 14" jointer/planer/slot mortiser, and a 17" Delta drill press. Some machines are in operation, others in various stages of restoration. Once I'm done I should be able to fabricate pretty much anything I need assuming I have the skill to make said item.