Dining room restoration

Project updates and progress reports
Olson185
Been here a good while

Re: Dining room restoration

Post by Olson185 »

Mick_VT wrote:
Gothichome wrote:Sort of an eclectic mix showcasing the natural look of the various design trends of a home that has been lived in for a long time?

Kind of... IMO unless you were richer most people had several periods combined in rooms in their house most of the time as people tend to hang on to furniture etc.

If "Contemporary" or "Modern" weren't such broad, all-encompassing labels; if we could focus on slight distinctions to create sub-styles, we might argue that most everyone's house, now, is an eclectic mix of (sub-)styles and that such a mix is as common, in the past, as it is now.

Today we have ready-to-assemble (RTA) furniture, ie. IKEA, but we could call such a style, "Contemporary Scandinavian-American". Then there's wicker, aka. "Seashore". Some people have a lot of fake crafts items (things that look homemade...because, in the past, they were... but now are bought at a store that imports from China) and we can call this "Sino-Faux Craft". Let's not forget about "Shabby Chic". I could go on and on but you get the idea.

The idea that all people, in the past, were so studiously fashion conscious as to not mix styles is a bit of fashionista projection (you know, those people who *must* have the newest stuff every time there's new stuff to be had). I'm just sayin', when it comes to old homes, it looks fine if the decorating is newer than the era of the house even if the decorating is eclectic. It only looks odd if one has (ie) a mid-Century Modern Ranch filled with only Victorian era furniture and decorating.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Mick, can reveal what paint you used - brand & colors. I've been looking for a green, and I keep going back to the darker mossier greens. On my screen that particular green and that particular cream really looks exceptionally beautiful together. Esp. with the brass fixtures and borders!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Kashka-Kat wrote:Mick, can reveal what paint you used - brand & colors. I've been looking for a green, and I keep going back to the darker mossier greens. On my screen that particular green and that particular cream really looks exceptionally beautiful together. Esp. with the brass fixtures and borders!

Absolutely, they are Benjamin Moore colors, the walls are "Barrington Green", the trim is "Sugar Cookie" (not white), and the ceiling is "Waterbury Cream"
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Ok, I am calling this room done... well, as done as a room ever is, I will still swap out furniture and make little detail changes I am sure. In particular I want to eliminate the few pieces of furniture that are later than my target date (such as the dining room table and the china cabinet). I also want some later chairs to replace the tired 1890s ones that I have which are really in dire need of work, and possibly beyond worth saving.

But for now here are a few pictures. I lit the kerosene lamps specifically for the benefit (and encouragement) of GothicHome ;)

First the full room shots:
Attachments
IMG_6752.JPG
IMG_6752.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 573 times
IMG_6753.JPG
IMG_6753.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 574 times
IMG_6755.JPG
IMG_6755.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 574 times
IMG_6758.JPG
IMG_6758.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 574 times
IMG_6759.JPG
IMG_6759.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 574 times
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Now some details...
Attachments
IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG (756.52 KiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6774.JPG
IMG_6774.JPG (847.07 KiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6773.JPG
IMG_6773.JPG (750.74 KiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6761.JPG
IMG_6761.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6762.JPG
IMG_6762.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6764.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6767.JPG
IMG_6767.JPG (723.13 KiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6768.JPG
IMG_6768.JPG (911.85 KiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6769.JPG
IMG_6769.JPG (726.47 KiB) Viewed 571 times
IMG_6771.JPG
IMG_6771.JPG (903.33 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Simply stunning, Mick. The blueprint above the new old table looks wonderful.

I forgot to mention a few days ago, but I've seen images of other homes that also did various cut outs for their border trims as well. One of them was actually the same border.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Beautiful, inviting room, Mick. Your careful restoration makes it feel like yesterday, rather than 100+ years ago. I like your choice of dining table, too - it doesn't overwhelm the room.

In the 3rd photo of the "Details" post, is that a swinging-door lock to the pantry?

James

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:In the 3rd photo of the "Details" post, is that a swinging-door lock to the pantry?

Thank you :)

It's a period door prop I have one on each of the two doors. The wall is so sloped the doors wont stay open otherwise
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Very nice work!

I really like how you captured the essence of the turn-of-the-century with the transitional Queen Anne to Art Nouveau hardware and the wallpaper.

If I didn't know any better, in all but one of the photos, I'd swear I was looking at some pictures that were taken in the 19-oughts that someone had colored in.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, I have no superlatives to offer that have not been mentioned all ready. So 'll stick to well done, VERY well done. Your mammoth lamp shade, first I have seen a stain glass shade on one would that have been a common upgrade for home use? One other thing, if you ever get tired of your B&H rocket plant stand, I know of a certain Aesthetic interior home that could use one.