Dining room restoration

Project updates and progress reports
Mick_VT

Re: Dining room restoration

Post by Mick_VT »

Willa wrote:Wow ! That's a lot of progress !

Where did the small ceiling medallion come from ? You mentioned family in the plaster trades ?

When it's all done it will look like nothing had ever happened to your house*. Those are the kind of renovations I especially appreciate.

* Meaning the work that you did is very sympathetic and blends right in.

Thanks Willa, I'm really hoping that it looks like it has been this way since 1900 when I am done. The ceiling medallion came from ebay. The seller has several sorts made from molds taken from Victorian ones. Reasonably priced for real fine plaster copies. http://www.ebay.com/itm/172439395018
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

phil wrote:
I'm leaning towards installing my original baseboards but with about a 1/2" spacer behind and then later when the room is in use I could sneak in and do some Faux panel wall application right over the drywall. this will step out the wall and cover my spacers. Id finish the top with a chair rail or wainscott cap. then use the picture rail about the hieght of your photo above but probably just one.

I would totally do that! :thumbup:
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

thanks for the explanation Mick I see now how the two moldings work visually together.

mine had a cove shaped crown molding with a 3/4 x 3 strip behind it to bulk it up. I looked at it and decided I don't' think my house had a painted molding like that so I pulled it out. I didn't' really want painted woodwork anyway. I figure Ill finish up and try to get the room back so I can use it and I can fiddle with that stuff later if I want to add more bling. It had to come out because it covered the 50's ceiling tiles anyway. not sure what Ill be up against when I uncover the floors so Im trying not to make it so I go crazy trying to "finish" the project before I drive the other half completely nuts. im sure itlll take till summer the way I go.

Phil

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

So much progress recently, I really need to update this thread. For now here are a few pics that have already appeared in other threads
Attachments
IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 454 times
51373584063__ED56429C-AB52-49A6-B7F2-D5EBD51F7CEC.JPG
51373584063__ED56429C-AB52-49A6-B7F2-D5EBD51F7CEC.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 454 times
IMG_6633.JPG
IMG_6633.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 454 times
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, that looks good, your almost ready for the craftsman furniture. Looks like a B&B paper.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Mick, that looks good, your almost ready for the craftsman furniture. Looks like a B&B paper.

Yes, you are right it is an A&C B&B border. While the border is A&C the look I am heading for is more Art Nouveau (and maybe a tiny bit A&C), influenced, early 20th Century. Not a strict rendition, but my take on what you might have found in the house around 1910 to 1920-ish. The millwork is based on a 1905 (possibly a "colonial revival) design, and I am planning to furnish the room with furniture from between the wars or maybe a bit earlier. Furniture will be a work in progress for a while. I have a 1920s (I think) china cabinet and a dining room table from the right period, but most of the furniture that came out of there, and will go back for a while, is earlier.
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sort of an eclectic mix showcasing the natural look of the various design trends of a home that has been lived in for a long time?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Sort of an eclectic mix showcasing the natural look of the various design trends of a home that has been lived in for a long time?

Kind of... IMO unless you were richer most people had several periods combined in rooms in their house most of the time as people tend to hang on to furniture etc.
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Border is done! Lots of work...

It comes three to a roll
This is how it comes
This is how it comes
51450221575__8062EA80-86AF-4A4A-ACBD-183A5E26295C.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 415 times

I trimmed it further for the look I wanted, each repeat taking 16 cuts with an xacto blade, time consuming to say the least!
Happy with the result
I trimmed it for installation
I trimmed it for installation
51456070272__48BE5F42-D40F-453B-B2AB-4FF5D0A21262 2.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 415 times

Bottom line - this room was really, really hard to fit a border to, with ceilings that wander by several inches and every single thing out of plumb, it took a lot of thought, and still some places I look and think "do I do that bit right?" But then look at it from a slightly different angle and decide I did. All wall except for the one with the built in, I struck a straight line with a laser, following an average distance from the ceiling. The wall with the built in, as discussed earlier, I had the border follow the dip of the trim / ceiling.
IMG_6639.JPG
IMG_6639.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 415 times

51458563946__ACDAD666-3D13-443A-8622-19E1556E1BA0.JPG
51458563946__ACDAD666-3D13-443A-8622-19E1556E1BA0.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 415 times

Anyhow, enough previews for now - gotta clear up! Looking at that last pic makes me kind of wish I had ordered my interior storms in a lighter color (the sashes used to be finished in natural wood so I ordered these in brown a couple of years ago)
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Big pay off for a lot of thoughtful and careful detailing. :thumbup:

When you have your curtains up, they may help mask the brown of the interior storms a bit too.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.