Circa 1884 McCuiston House

Project updates and progress reports
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Circa 1884 McCuiston House

Post by SouthernLady »

That's a good eye, Gothichome! The chimneys look to be in such good condition because they were rebuilt during the remodel in the 1920s. The masons replaced the brick about a good 3-5 feet into the cellar, and the rest of it is the original brick. I believe the kitchen chimney was rebuilt but they retained the metal part at the top. The kitchen and dining room are all in the same open room, which makes up the entire part that juts out from the back of the main house to the chimney. A wood cook stove was what used that small chimney.

I am going to get some estimates for rebuilding those two chimneys as the estimates to get them lined were $4,000 a piece! I think that's outrageous, honestly. I would love to have an 1880s style chimney back on the house, so if the cost of a rebuild is cheaper, I will probably go that route.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Such Fun!

Southern Lady, the marks on the trim are from storm window hangers; the storm would hang from those at the top and use turn latches or hook and eyes at the bottom. With hook and eyes inside the house, you can tip the storm window open at the bottom and get fresh air without snow or rain getting in. Also, you can take the second floor ones off and on without a ladder from inside if you are careful.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

It does resemble that, and had it not been for the fact I distinctly remembered the markings left from the other canopy/awning that hung over the second-story bedroom window, I would most definitely agree with you. :-) I believe the awnings may have been added sometime in the late '30s-early '40s. I have an old picture supplied by the family that shows an awning over the laundry window, I believe it was.

The old windows did have screens at one time, but they were the kind that fit into the window frame itself. I know this because the second-story windows still have the little latches in the window frame.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Yesterday, I got the majority of the painting done! Still have to paint the other window, threshold, do a second coat, and replace the porch post with a salvaged porch post.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Looking really good! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

I'll second that, lookin good from here too!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Very Pretty,
the house looks nice too ;-)

Don M

Post by Don M »

Big improvement; well done!

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Just popping in to say hey to everyone. Haven't been able to do much since the last update as far as restoration goes; just basically been maintaining for now. I have been tied up with wedding coordinating (got the bride and groom down the aisle this past Saturday, so yay!), doctors' visits to try to determine what to expect for my partial loss of vision (seems to be some rare thing called AZOOR), therapy for low back pain (I have been told my scoliosis is going to give me degenerative disc disease--how kind of it to do so, lol...), and basically full-time caregiving for a friend of mine with what is beginning to now seem to be entering end-stage Pick's disease (a rare form of dementia). Amongst all this, I also managed to turn 29. Phew. I am tired...

Just wanted everyone to know I haven't forgotten about this site! I have missed all of you and look forward to catching up on everyone's progress on their projects.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great to hear from you, you definitely have a lot on your plate --- especially for one so young. Glad you are maintaining your home, the rest will keep.