Circa 1884 McCuiston House

Project updates and progress reports
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Circa 1884 McCuiston House

Post by SouthernLady »

There is no gingerbread on the house, per great-granddaughter. It was not a fancy Victorian farmhouse by any means. Plain siding is all there was, she said. I did notice the turned spindles for the porch columns and the bit of cutouts at the top attached to the roof of the porch.

I can't wait to start this project!!!

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

So I was just thinking... There is a house a couple miles down the road from me with some of the same woodwork... the door on the right is a perfect match to the interior doors in my house, and I need one more to replace a hollow door...

This one seems fairly identical to the original form of my house. LOOK!!!!! I just noticed--SCREENS!!!!!!!! :o There are old screens on this house!!!!!

Is it rude to try to find the owner and ask if I can have parts off their house to restore mine?

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Wave a fifty dollar bill under their snout-you may walk off with the whole place! Take EVERYTHING you can get permission to, as anything you don't use can be barter goods for the day you start in with boiler business or inside restoration or something.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

A lot of it depends on the owners intentions for the house (real or otherwise) and what sense of attachment they have. I know some houses like that round here that have sentimental value to the owner and they wont let anybody buy to restore it and would not let anybody have anything from it. They would rather sit by and watch it rot for whatever reason. In fact they might chase you away if you asked. I would ask carefully and be prepared to be bawled out. I'd also start at salvage yards on my search.

That door may look right style wise, but usually exterior doors are usually thicker, so if it comes to it - check.
Mick...

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

I'd agree with Mick, to perhaps tread carefully and respectfully, but you should absolutely pursue it. Like Neighmond says, even if there are items not meant for your home, they could certainly find life elsewhere.

Southernlady, you have certainly struck a chord with me with this visit from your house's former family!

This is as close to textbook as there is for tracking down former owners and their descendants. You have found the treasure trove for any old house history research-- NO person or historical society will ever give you as much information on your house as a former owner or its descendants can. You have done a fantastic job here! As you've found, if the family spent decades there, then the house is part of their family history and they are often happy to share.

Don't let this end your history search, keep digging! 1806 Colonial offers some great tips too-- probate records are often overlooked. Old phone directories, obituaries, censuses, all useful. Another great (free) site is the Mormon-run www.familysearch.org.

Unfortunately, my house's longtime owners have long since passed, and all three of their children have passed away as well. Therefore, the closest I have are two living spouses of these children. I started by writing a letter to one of them (who lives only a block away) and didn't hear back months later. So, I cold-called her, and she was happy to share a ton with me-- she actually lived in my house in the late 1950's. Turns out she didn't respond to the letter because she didn't think she knew anything that would interest me, but boy was she wrong! Still hoping she ends up finding some photos for me, but I am trying to not be too pushy!

By the way, Southernlady, maybe we can talk later somewhere down the road, but I'd be very interested in having you share some of this as a guest post on my house history blog, if you'd be interested.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southernlady, what great information and pictures. Seems very little has changed on your home in all these years, I can scence your excitement over the whole visit in your post.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Great stories!

We managed to make contact with the grandson of the original owner of our hose. He was able to share a little information and a few photos before he passed. Hearing your story has me eager to reach out to other family members to see if they still have any information.
Last edited by mjt on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

Wow, what a great visit and a wealth of information you received. You have just GOT to buy the mantel and original kitchen table, no matter what they cost - you know you do!

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Reading this story is the most fun I have had all day! Your determination to find some previous owners paid off big time. I am going to half to try to follow your lead.
Diane

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Homsescribehistory, thank you for your offer. I sent you a PM for details. I'd be happy to contribute.

Matchbook, I promise you I will do everything I can to bring the table and mantel mirror back home to the McCuison House should they ever be up for grabs! :)

To those who posted advice/warnings on asking to salvage from those homes, thank you! I've been thinking about it for the past few days, and I think I have a strategy. I will have photos of my home--original design, 1940s, and now (to prove I am serious!)--and ask if they would allow me to photograph the house from all angles for details to use in restoring mine. I will see if it is possible to see inside and photograph as well (safety permitting). I will then try to strike up conversation to see what they can tell me about the house for two reasons: (1) to see what the history is, which might help me in my restoration, and (2) to see how attached they are to the structure.

If I sense they might not get offended if I asked for the pieces that have at least already fallen off the house, I will do so. If I sense they are really attached to it, I will leave them my calling card and ask them to contact me one day if they ever decide to demolish for whatever reason, so I can allow the house to "re-live" through mine.

Thoughts?