Circa 1884 McCuiston House

Project updates and progress reports
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Circa 1884 McCuiston House

Post by SouthernLady »

It happened a few weeks late, but I finally got those bookcases moved upstairs earlier today.

The delay was due to an unexpected tragedy that took me to Tennessee. I am sure many of you have seen the news stories about the Gatlinburg Fires. A dear friend was tragically killed while trying to escape the flames with his little toy poodle. Somehow the dog survived--I can't help but wonder if when he saw he wouldn't make it out if he protected that little dog with his body... we will never know. He had lived a rich, full life and was loved by many, many people. He was quite the local celebrity due to having started the first wedding chapels there in Gatlinburg, for his classic Cadillac he drove, and for his bright personality. I and some friends went to Gatlinburg this past May and visited with him. Strangely enough, when we all parted ways, one of my friends said he had an overwhelming feeling he would never see him again. Thankfully, we know where he is--he was ready to go whenever the time came.

He never failed to ask me for updates on my old farmhouse and he said if he ever made it to my area he was coming by for a visit and I better have a pitcher of tea waiting on the porch. As soon as warm weather is back, I plan to have that pitcher of tea with our friends in his memory.

Anyways... Project update.

An assortment of friends left work and joined me at my house at lunchtime with a plan to get those bookcases upstairs. It took one old school bus (I thought to help prop the ladder, but thank God it was only to haul the large ladder... lol), a big aluminum ladder, 30' of rope, a lot of prayers, and some elbow grease, but it happened!

Figuring out the method...

...putting the plan into action...

...and done.

Now it's time to determine if it's shellac or lacquer finish on these things, freshen up the finish, put the doors and drawers back, and add the books.

Don M

Post by Don M »

So sorry for the loss of your friend, that's so awful, the fire and so much damage too.
Great you & friends got the bookcases upstairs.
Happy Holidays.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Yet also my congratulations for getting those beauties upstairs.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that was a touching story, and I am sorry to hear of the loss of your very thoughtful friend. Imagine saving his little dog on the way out. He went out a hero.
the bookcases look really nice and it was probably good to get everyone together doing something like that. Nice picture too.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southernlady, you have some pretty classy furnature movers down there. They all arrived in suits. Good to see you found a work around to get the cabinets up stairs.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Well, you know what they say about us Southerners... We have a style all to our own and believe in dressing up for special occasions.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

:-)

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Today, I started a project I did not anticipate starting today. While raking leaves, I finally had enough of looking at the aluminum siding on the old garage/barn part of my house. So. Out came the little pink hammer.

Behold. Two-story trailer. (Not that trailers are bad, as I lived in one as a small child, but when there's an 1880s structure behind aluminum, it is very, very bad.)

In less than an hour and a half, the nasty mask was off and the flaws were revealed. The siding was nailed straight to the Celotex sheathing board, which looked like it got into a fight with a very angry Chuck Norris. Holes everywhere.

I put a call in to my contractor friend tonight to tell him what I found. Having never installed siding before, I think I would rather enlist his professional services and pay the extra money to see it done right and learn how to do it myself. He has suggested going with Hardy Board that has a wood grain appearance to it as he says wood siding is almost impossible to find these days. I truly would rather have wood, but if the Hardy Board truly doesn't look different, I guess I would be fine with it. Do any of y'all have any advice on the matter?

I gave the house a plastic blanket that will hopefully protect the naked walls for the next two weeks until my friend is free to do the job for me.

Finding exposed insulation was a huge disappointment, too. Now to figure out something about this...

My hope is the siding installation for this section and the connector sections won't be very expensive so that I can enlist the services of my friend in pulling off the remaining aluminum siding from the rest of the "barn".

It's slow progress, but it's progress!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southernlady, all progress is good progress. I have no opinion on Hardin board to offer though. From what I've read in he district, it can be a great replacement for real wood. I'm sure you'll get good guidance from the pro's here in the district.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I understand Hardy board is indestructible & a very good choice. One side is wood grained & the other is smooth.
One expert carpenter liked the smooth side best of it was more like wood clapboards.