Don M

Re: 1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse in Michigan

Post by Don M »

Your place looks wonderful; really coming along beautifully. :thumbup:

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Don M wrote:Your place looks wonderful; really coming along beautifully. :thumbup:

Thanks, Don!

The closet is coming along...a couple coats of shellac today, which was not as fun to work with as I expected. It's quite watery and drippy and then sticky. But it's almost done!

Also, I'm enjoying the good weather and found a pretty cool old bridge lamp in the UP.

Just today, I also found this awesome 19th century front door that is the perfect dimensions to replace my 50s/60s front door...I photoshopped it quickly...it's the same on both sides and should be mirrored but you get the idea:

Here's the outside of the house for what it's worth...it will change in a few years when I try to take it back to something closer to original. The layout of the house looking at it from this angle is the following...kitchen through the front door from the inverted porch...to the left is the living room with an unfortunate mudroom/bathroom behind and two bedrooms above...to the right is a master suite converted from some smaller rooms in the last 15 years, which is surprisingly nice and convenient (though of course not original)...and that's where the closet I'm redoing is located. Behind the master suite on the right is an addition, which is where my studio is located.

1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

You bought the door Oaktree or just spotted it. If you haven't bought it I think you most definitely should by. Home is looking great. The closet looks like it should just be there, the slab door, not so much, in my view. A panelled door in my view would be perfect.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Gothichome wrote:You bought the door Oaktree or just spotted it. If you haven't bought it I think you most definitely should by. Home is looking great. The closet looks like it should just be there, the slab door, not so much, in my view. A panelled door in my view would be perfect.

I think I am going to go for the front door!!!! Thanks for the encouragement! I agree about the slab door not being ideal for that closet, but I haven't found anything better yet. There were some much too short paneled doors there before which looked pretty mismatched with all my other 19th century doors. I haven't seen anything that would work there at the salvage place yet. I am keeping an eye out for something better though...it's somewhat an awkward area with many doorways in a little space!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Nice door! Put a big call bell and two screen door springs on your closet doors, so when you hit the button they roll open and the bell dings! You'll have everyone inside there looking for the buttons for up/down! Such fun!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Neighmond wrote:Nice door! Put a big call bell and two screen door springs on your closet doors, so when you hit the button they roll open and the bell dings! You'll have everyone inside there looking for the buttons for up/down! Such fun!

It does look a bit like an elevator!! There was no room for anything else.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

You could have fun with that!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

One of these mounted above?

Image6AA ATLAS by James McInnis, on Flickr

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Neighmond wrote:You could have fun with that!

The closet/elevator is coming along! Today sanding the shellac a bit with some steel wool, and I am very happy with how the light fixture looks in there!

Also, here's another door I'm considering for the closet under my stairs (when I bought the house it had a curtain, like most of the other closets did):

And I think I'm going to use the sash lifts on the bottom on the pocket doors on the closet. Traditional pocket door hardware is a little bit much on the small doors.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

here's another suggestion for above that door.
Attachments
time displayr.jpg
time displayr.jpg (98.99 KiB) Viewed 980 times