1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse in Michigan

Project updates and progress reports
Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1862 Vernacular Farmhouse in Michigan

Post by Powermuffin »

Geez, it is so much fun to watch your progress! The kitchen is coming along beautifully and love both of the cupboards with their rich looking woods. I am waitng impatiently for your farm table. ;) Are you officially moved in yet?

We installed Marmoleum in our kitchen and just love it. It does feel wonderful on my feet and it has a lovely soft finish.
Diane

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Oaktree, how does that realy nice old table look in the kitchen. Been waiting for a picture of it all restored up.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

I haven't posted in a long time but lots of progress! I know it's not all historically accurate, so don't kill me! :) I have tons and tons of pictures, so I'll try to break it up to smaller posts.

Kitchen:

I've accumulated quite the collection of old chairs to go with the old table, which was beautifully repaired (the long sliding joint in the middle had to be replaced). I put some paste wax on the top, which has worked well for spills.

Kitchen before/after:

We built the cupboard for these old beadboard doors from the salvage place (stripped, repaired, repainted). I found all the cupboard hardware at different antique/salvage stores (also stripped/cleaned):

I have four cheap cupboards that I put in for now because of time/cost, but the handles turned out very nicely:

I've gotten pretty obsessed with finding antique light fixtures in bad condition and fixing them up. I'm running out of places to put them:

Small cupboard (stripped wallpaper from the inside) from a Greek Revival estate sale:

This large primitive cupboard is going to go next to the table once the weather cools down and I can finish stripping and refinishing (the interior was pink with pink burlap glued on it, which resulted in it being a really good deal).

1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

oaktree

Re: 1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse in Michigan

Post by oaktree »

Btw, I didn't get moved in until December, and, now that I can relax a little, I can tackle more the time-consuming projects and do them the right way. I thought my outbuildings were more than big enough, but now they are full of restoration projects (cupboards, doors, etc.).
Last edited by oaktree on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don M

Post by Don M »

oaktree wrote:Btw, I didn't get moved in until December, and, now that I can relax a little, I can tackle more the time-consuming projects and do them the right way. I thought my outbuildings were more big enough, but now they are full of restoration projects (cupboards, doors, etc.).

Welcome to the club; I have several large out buildings & too much accumulated stuff! :clap:

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Don M wrote: Welcome to the club; I have several large out buildings & too much accumulated stuff! :clap:

Worse is that everyone else wants to store things in my outbuildings...they should get their own!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

New old doors...inspired by the door on the milk house, which was likely an original interior door. When I bought the house, there were solid pine 70s doors, which were in okay shape but were much too short after uncovering the original flooring. I collected doors from multiple salvage places, stripped them, and then they were all painted to match. It also took awhile to find all the correct hinges, Bennington knobs, latches, and escutcheons, which also had to be cleaned up and repaired.

Milk house door:

I looked for doors with two vertical raised panels. I found three of those and then two doors without raised panels that fit.

One of the really cool discoveries after cleaning one of the hinges I was going to use (revealing the maker) is that I actually used to live in a loft apartment in the same factory where the hinge was made!!! I ended up not using that one since it's special. :)

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great work on your doors & hardware! Looks wonderful.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Don M wrote:Great work on your doors & hardware! Looks wonderful.

Thanks so much, Don!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Some more pictures of the beadboard cupboard in the kitchen I posted earlier: