1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse in Michigan

Project updates and progress reports
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1862 Vernacular Farmhouse in Michigan

Post by oaktree »

Now we are sanding the upstairs just enough that it looks clean and has no sharp edges for feet. The paint is going to stay in the low grooves. I think it's going to be much better. Here's how it looks after sanding:

1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I like that - it has an old worn warmth to it.
Mick...

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Thanks much, it looks way less sad up there...

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

First day at new job. Upstairs floors are looking much better though I'm still pretty wary of what my contractor is up to!

And I'm really happy with how my trim is turning out! It will be painted Benjamin Moore Pale Oak...a color that looks related to the beige vinyl windows.

We have a few really challenging areas where the floor is so wavy I'm not sure how the baseboard is going to work. The baseboards are plain 1x6" wood, and we will have to use a bigger shoe molding than normal because I have so much to conceal (3/4" x 3/4"). I don't like it, but I don't know what would be better.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

The floors upstairs are better, but I still feel like my floor guy is jerking me around. He spent very little time here and didn't sand consistently around the edges and corners. It's pretty good though, and it's definitely much better than before. I feel slightly hesitant before having my other contractor (who is a perfectionist and expensive) install trim up here. What do people think? Move forward?

What is making me most frustrated is that they didn't patch before finishing...I keep asking them how they are going to fix all the holes in the floor, and they said they will patch after. I know that doesn't make sense.

Honestly, I would fire this flooring contractor if he wasn't the official installer for the linoleum I already bought. I'm worried I won't be able to get someone to install this stuff if I hire someone else.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Oh, I am in love with your floors? Yellow pine? I don't know much about that sort of thing; I am still learning.

I noticed the quarter-round--which brings me to a debate my dad and I have been having concerning my floors. I reckon this would not have been an original feature to the floors (my house is 1884). Are you keeping yours? I am trying to decide if I want to keep mine...

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

I adore your refinished floors. They have a truly warm, lived-in (or lived-on) look to them.

Of course, we can't see the "oversights" made by the contractor but they still look fabulous for 153 year old floors.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

SouthernLady wrote:Oh, I am in love with your floors? Yellow pine? I don't know much about that sort of thing; I am still learning.

I noticed the quarter-round--which brings me to a debate my dad and I have been having concerning my floors. I reckon this would not have been an original feature to the floors (my house is 1884). Are you keeping yours? I am trying to decide if I want to keep mine...

They are pine, thank you! :)

I think they would have installed something like quarter round (or shoe molding, which is 1/4 x 3/4") over wall-to-wall carpeting, which I was told was done in the 19th century in my type of house. I'm not a huge fan of the look, but I have really big gaps between the edges of the hardwood and drywall. This is because there was plaster before, which was thicker. I'm using quarter round (3/4 x 3/4") to conceal gaps between the wood and the walls and the waviness in the floor. I don't have much of a choice about it.

I'd love to see pictures of your house!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

7th Heaven wrote:I adore your refinished floors. They have a truly warm, lived-in (or lived-on) look to them.

Of course, we can't see the "oversights" made by the contractor but they still look fabulous for 153 year old floors.

Thanks, 7th Heaven! That's comforting! Right now, it seems like all the mistakes are so glaring. I'm worrying all the the time about it. I hope I can just enjoy the finished product soon.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I posted on another thread about your floors...now I see where they didn't patch before finishing...no, that does not make sense...
may I make a suggestion? I had the company from hell do my linoleum floor in the bathroom....they probably think I am the customer from hell but I have had my share of unfathomable dumbass contractors work in my house...read the manufacturer's instructions and educate yourself on how the floor should be installed...call the company and ask questions...the lino should be an 1/8" or so away from the walls (trim will cover the gap)...during seasonal expansion and contraction of wood and lino, the 1/8" ill allow for movement...the floor should be leveled prior to lino install unless it is very minor...you can't use vinyl adhesive and the lino adhesive costs about $65 a gallon--no substitutes!
when I had my floor put in, there were a number of areas that were not adhered to the plywood beneath and there were numerous areas with bubbles that would 'pop' when pushed down...I swear they used a tube of silicone at the tub and got it all over the floor and side of the tub...the cut around pipes should be nice and clean and well fitting...my guy left a 5" ragged rip and thought that was acceptable...when I complained, they sent the same guy back and he was unable to change anything...a supervisor came over and took a 15 minute dump in the bathroom before declaring the floor a disaster--the lino and plywood would need to come up!!! the second installer did a shitty job too and I just let it go...
do your homework and don't let the installer tell you they know what they are doing when you know they don't!!
good luck....
...jade