1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse in Michigan

Project updates and progress reports
Duffy666
Knows the area

Re: 1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse in Michigan

Post by Duffy666 »

Wow, glad you caught the contractor in time. Stairs ...and everything else looks great!
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Duffy666 wrote:Wow, glad you caught the contractor in time. Stairs ...and everything else looks great!

Thanks so much! I still have to fix that bottom step to look a little less weird. :)
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

I was sorting through construction pictures, and I never posted some of these before/during pictures of the kitchen. I think I was embarrassed by how bad it was. It's come a long way! I cannot believe this was a year ago...tearing our all that flooring, the soffit, the ton of cupboards, and wallpaper was such an ordeal! I didn't trust myself to do a good job on all the finishing work, but I did all of this part myself (with some helpers).

Last edited by oaktree on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

You really have transformed the place!
Mick...

Don M

Post by Don M »

Would never have recognized the two being the same space.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Looks good. I like the over the table fixture. Were you tempted at all to make a "panel" front to match for the dishwasher?

When I look at the before pics, it's amazing how even for more modern renos, you can see distinct differences in the cabinetry. Did the POs piece together cabinetry they found on CL? Or did they add on to the length later, possible after taking down a wall? (Near side of stove, bookends on the island.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Thanks everyone!

Lily left the valley wrote:Looks good. I like the over the table fixture. Were you tempted at all to make a "panel" front to match for the dishwasher?

When I look at the before pics, it's amazing how even for more modern renos, you can see distinct differences in the cabinetry. Did the POs piece together cabinetry they found on CL? Or did they add on to the length later, possible after taking down a wall? (Near side of stove, bookends on the island.)

I have never been a huge fan of trying to hide dishwashers/fridges/etc. The designer in me doesn't like trying to disguise things as other things, and, while I want to stay true to the age of the home, I don't want to look like the house stopped in time! I imagine the people who built this house were practical people and try to be practical myself. Those panels are harder to clean!

The mismatched cabinets are certainly weird. My guess was POs got a new different sized fridge, a dishwasher, and stove, and had to reshuffle the cupboards and get new cupboards. I know the island was built in the last 8 years probably from cupboards that used to be on the wall and some new ones that don't quite match.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

oaktree wrote:I have never been a huge fan of trying to hide dishwashers/fridges/etc. The designer in me doesn't like trying to disguise things as other things, and, while I want to stay true to the age of the home, I don't want to look like the house stopped in time! I imagine the people who built this house were practical people and try to be practical myself. Those panels are harder to clean!

I understand the not want to feel stopped in time notion. I also understand practical. (My body likes practical, my brain wants details. :) )

I've never had the matching panels on appliances, but with all the molding, I'm sure they are harder to clean.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Oaktree, how is the home coming along, any new updates to post? And what about your forest of trees, have you done any thing with that?

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Gothichome wrote:Oaktree, how is the home coming along, any new updates to post? And what about your forest of trees, have you done any thing with that?

Hi Gothichome! I've had tons of work travel in the last 6 months and barely been home...so little progress, but I'm redoing a terrible walk-in closet in my master bedroom. The doors were installed badly and fell off the track every time I opened them (in addition to being the wrong size), it was covered in cedar boards that were glued crookedly, and the light fixture was off center. Beadboard was on clearance at home depot! I'm redoing it with beadboard, hollow doors painted to match the trim, and using these sash pulls on the doors. Obviously, this closet isn't original, but you can see a glimpse of what I'm guessing is the original back door (now there's an addition, which serves as my studio).

The yard is looking beautiful! There's pretty much always tons of things in bloom. Haven't tackled the apple trees yet.

I've also been researching previous owners to try to learn more about the house, but so far no luck! It's had a lot of owners.