Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Mick_VT

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Mick, your's and Dons concern for my well being is appreciated and has been taken to hart. Thanks.
I do plan on staying around for a few more years, upper management, I'm not so sure about her plans for me. She has always told me once my insurance value has exeded my income value I should start to worry, I've reached that point now, :?

dont worry too much, she has plenty of use for you around the house yet I am sure - too many projects on GH to render you dispensible
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

It's my only hope. :icon-lol:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, back home and back into restoration mode. While I was away, upper management was busy stripping wall paper from the yellow room (before pic is further back in this thread) got my first look at what I'm faced with.
The roof is a mess, lots of broken keys and cracks I think the roof paper was the only thing keeping it in place, also you can see were the roof leaked at one time.
If you look in the corner there must have been a major issue, that square patch is a piece of plywood used as a fill were the plaster once was. Thinking it will need to come down dam it.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Whoa. You've got your hands full!
Always nerve wracking taking down wallpaper/walls... never know what you are going to find!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome, that plaster doesn't seem to be sagging or bowing, if it's held for the past century plus would it really need to come down?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Vala, still debating the pro and cons in my head. It comes down to what the finished roof would look like. The roof actually is quite soft.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

To continue the discoveries of the new project room. The wall plaster is in fantastic shape with only minor stress cracking.
These most defiantly will be saved, if you look carefully you can see the patch were the little stove pipe was removed. There was three layers of wall paper in this room, a blue with little flower bundles, then a stripe pattern, and lastly the 1962 yellow floral you see in the before pic.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

The worst thing with a questionable plaster ceiling is it can "let go" and all fall off into the room at once. I have a friend who has had this happen in several rooms. I would say if there are broken keys and doubt, take it down Gothic, the last thing you want is to have your hard work ruined by a collapse down the road
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, yes. That is my delema. Although the roof is holding on, to fix it using the Big Wally technique would make for of a mess than it already is. Tearing it down and going with drywall although messy and a bit costly will make a perfectly flat roof that no one will know is not plaster.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Maybe sheetrock right over the old plaster?