Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Catheetiem
Settling in

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Catheetiem »

Love the grate!! I'm not sure what the rest of your fixtures in the room look like; maybe work off of those for black or brass.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

It does look nice in place, I have had instruction from upper management, it will be restored.

Ron

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

This summer I will be concentrating on the windows on this side of the house.
My usual plan will be to start on the attic window and work my my way down. I should be able to get three done, well at least tht’s been my average.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I know I've said this before but I'll say it again. It's a handsome house you've got there, Ron.

Are you going from white trim to dark red?

A couple of us are working on windows these days. You've got more experience than I so you may be getting questions.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James. Sorry for the slow reply. The eave colour depends on if I can find an old picture with the gingerbread still attached. As it is now the answer would be yes. Some of the the details will
be careful picked out with a period appropriate pallet. Probably a traditional green/black like the front door and a Brunswick green. If I can find a picture then the plan will change.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

my house had no white, but the gutter installers used white. I didnt think so hard about it when I painted my stairs railings white. an across the street neighbor asked me to paint them another color and painted out that nothing else is white and it's actually just making the gutters stand out more and they shouldn't really be a "feature"

I think she's absolutely correct.
Ever since if I see her across the noisy street she will make these painting motions ;-)

10 years later the paint on my railings are half flaked off so I'm making progress.. I guess.. one day Ill change that and I'd like to go paint my gutters with a metal paint.

my theory is that the inspectors that decide how much tax I pay look at the outside so I've been hesitant to paint it outside anywhere ;) I bet if I paint it the taxes will take a jump. Maybe not now that the interest rates seem to be on the rise and house prices starting to stabilize a little , maybe..

Ron, your house is looking great !

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Hi Phill, paint does wonders for the look of a home, even better if painted in colours that match the period of the home. This side of Gothichome will look much better once I get the windows done. I still have to get my new old man lift up and running, then It’ll be the eaves turn.
I had great hopes many years ago to have all this done by now, but there never seems to be enough time.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well I finally got started with this years windows, removed the sashes from the very top window. Need to replace the glass in one of the sashes so I lose another piece of wavy glass dam it.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Sorry for your loss. Since I got my new dog I've been walking around the neighborhood quite a bit and have been noticing the beautiful wavy glass in all the old houses around here. It's a subtle but beautiful feature.

When you break a sheet of wavy glass, do you have any replacement glass on hand, or do you replace with float glass?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well I finally have the first window of the season restored.

I should have two done by now, but oh well, the honey do list was extra long this year.

Ron