Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Gothichome »

Mick_VT wrote:I would vote for green with the cream on the round over, or even the cottage red window color on the field instead of the green

Oh, great help Mick, green but then again maybe red. :lol: you should be in politics.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Gothichome wrote:I should have been more explicit, it's the board colour we are having the delema with. The railing is slowly being painted black.

We painted all our mounting boards the trim colour because:
- the main body is dark blue and the trim is light blue and the contrast wasn't significant enough to draw attention to the mounting board. If our trim was a light or bright colour we would have painted the mounting boards something that wouldn't be too eye-catching but, still, distinguish it from the main colour. (we'll be changing the trim to an even darker blue when we paint again...we just didn't want people to think the house was "dreary" or "haunted")
- poorly thought out paint work usually has people painting everything one colour apparently because it's faster.
- when minor details are painted some other (coordinated) colour it tends to indicate a thoughtful process in which someone cared how it looked.

front door light
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Gothichome wrote:Another window finished, well almost. I need to re restore the storm. The storm was the very first storm I restored (ever) six years ago. Compared to what I know now it's a bit of an amateurish attemp.

Was going to start on the large window in the hallway next, but it will have to Waite. I broke a pain in one of the first floor sashes this AM. :evil: so, as with all schedules I will adapt.

There are so many things, I do, that I know I might re-do, by the time I'm finished doing all of them that need doing, because, by the time I finish doing them all, I've gotten faster and better at doing them. Some things, like reglazing windows, are things I've done so long ago I'm not sure how well I might do it now.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Do tell.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Got the storm re restored and back into place. That completes this set of windows.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gawjus! What a beautiful house you have. Can you identify the bond pattern of the brick for me? It looks like a Flemish bond variant of some kind. It gives the exterior wall a nice rhythm.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Gothichome wrote:Got the storm re restored and back into place. That completes this set of windows.

Wow, I love those leaf details on the windows. Ridiculously beautiful!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

oaktree wrote:
Gothichome wrote:Got the storm re restored and back into place. That completes this set of windows.

Wow, I love those leaf details on the windows. Ridiculously beautiful!
I really like that they are simple in their beauty too, which I haven't seen as often in such stone work. Usually it's all heavily detailed scroll work and such which are grand too, but this is a calmer sort of beauty.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thanks for the comments on our key stones, they really are a bit special, part of what makes Gothichome a bit special. Manalto, yes it is Flemish bond. Not the cheapest brick pattern to lay.
Well this is the finished out side lamp.
Thanks for the colour help.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Horshack: "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!"

Horshack, "Welcome Back, Kotter"

I know this one (and not from looking it up just now, lol). Alternating offset rows of two stretchers between each header is called a "Flemish Double Stretcher Garden Wall Bond"; not to be confused with the three stretcher between each header, which is called just a "Flemish Garden Wall Bond".

I checked to see if "Flemish Double Stretcher Garden Wall Bond" brings up good search results and, I see, not all are correct. Flemish Bond should be alternating stretcher-header-stretcher.

I think this PDF is the better of what I quickly looked through: Bonds and Patterns in Brickwork
Last edited by Olson185 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~James