Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Manalto »

Olson185 wrote:Horshack: "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!"

I thought that was Toody. ("Ooo! Ooo!")

Olson185 wrote:Alternating offset rows of two stretchers between each header is called a "Flemish Double Stretcher Garden Wall Bond"

Thanks! It was on the tip of my tongue. :roll:

Don M

Post by Don M »

:thumbup: Gothichome is looking better & better! :thumbup:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thanks Don. I's getting there.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Folks, finally got some very non glamorous work done in the basement. Added another tele post.
Some time in the distant past they decided it would be a great idea to dig out a section of our basement. Not a big deal if not for the fact they knocked out part of two load bearing foundation walls. As the picture shows, I think it may have been done in two phases. The first to instal the heater runs for the first ever circulation heater, the second phase long after to bring in the water. The digging for the water I think was the biggest project.
Well any way, void of any structural support the floor had sagged over the years on the first and second floor about an inch or so. Just after we bought I placed two jack posts under the joist beam. Over the last five years I have been giving each a quarter turn, slowly lifting the floors up. That accomplished, it's time to move on to the second phase of this project.
This is a pic of the foundation wall in question (sorry for the dark pic). When they dug out the crawl space they under mined the foundation wall. Over the many years it was the only structure holding up the floor and two stories of plaster wall. It had developed one hell of a bow as it settled onto the void under it.
This weekend I installed a third jack post to take the loading off this little bit of joist beam.
My plan is to slowly lift the joists off the dodgie section of foundation and replace with a jack post. The goal is to make this section carry its load once again.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, got the first of the winter projects started. Upper managements kitchen project. Got the gas run to the new gas stove. Waiting on the electricians quote. Floor options are still in the air, but she is leaning towards a covering of some sort.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Getting serious now, sanding the wainscoting in preparation for paint.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

The details you have! So wonderful. Hope all goes well with the winter projects.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Such lovely details!!!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

ok Folks some more architectural archeology. Stripped the floor in the rear vestibule.
Found a couple of surprises.
This is looking to one corner. Notice the tin plate, it’s covering some severe dry rot. Seems to be an odd place for dry rot though. It is on the corner that was once a rear external door. In my mind there must have been a large chronic leak in the door to have started the dry rot process. It would seem to me that such a leak would have been remedied quickly, but I guess not. In the other corner you will notice another tin plate, that plate is covering the hole from the vent/drain pipe of the very first plumbing in the house. It would have drained the tub, sink and toilet. Have I mentioned the other end of that drain pipe just emptied into the river back then.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

The other discovery in the vestibule, we once had a bench.
We now have an old church pew in this spot. Hhhummmmm, do build a replacement bench? Some thing to discuss with upper management.