Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Manalto »

It's nice that the door hasn't been painted, and I like the two different stains.

As far as the brick wallpaper, a phrase I've often uttered, "what were they thinking?" comes to mind. In your case, I might add, "Indoor chimney?"

Beautiful room, Ron. Keep those photos coming!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, I suspect the forced air was installed about 1962, that was the age of the old furnace I had replaced with new seven or eight years ago. Brick wall paper was all the rage in 62. We have purchased an antique mantle with cast iron fireplace front to go against this wall. I will once again adapt a space heater behind the grill.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

That sounds like a good solution. I was surprised to learn that you're in the same hardiness zone (minimum temperature) as I was in Connecticut, although you're considerably further north. The tempering effect of the Great Lakes, perhaps? In any case, the faux fireplace (with authentic elements) will make for a cozy atmosphere.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Some progress to report, almost finished replicating and replacing the missing cornice trim in the back parlor project.

This took a lot longer than I was expecting, most of the time was waiting on plaster molding to dry. But progress is progress even if a bit slow. I still have a bit of fine tuning as you can see but it’ll look fine when finished.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Back parlor progress.
IMG_0026.jpeg
IMG_0026.jpeg (426.42 KiB) Viewed 669 times
Only have a quarter of the ceiling restoration finished so far. Have guests staying next week so I had to tar down the scaffolding, clean up and put things back in there place. Only to tear it all apart and reassemble the scaffolding. Let me tell you plaster bust gets every were.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

The molding repair looks good. Are you happy with it?

How high are your ceilings? Scaffolding, although it's a hassle to disassemble and reassemble, is a luxury compared to working from a wobbly ladder!

Did you say this will function as a parlor? Have you worked out a design scheme (colors, fabrics, furniture, etc.) for the room yet?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, yes reasonably happy with the end result, it has a bit of a wave so not perfect. There comes a point were you just have to except good rather than perfect, although I think it’s the best I could do for a first time effort. Yes this is the back parlor, it houses the tv etc so basically the living room. We are going to keep the wallpaper just give it a bit of a cleaning. We replaced the old mantle with a taller and better mantle we bought through a local buy and sell. It came with two new but matching book shelves.
We are going to paint the ceiling medallion appropriate to the period of the house, still thinking on painting the cornice and the ceiling. I don’t think we will attempt to paper the ceiling. Also have to find an antique oil lamp to hang.
Ron

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I look forward to multiple photos of this project.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, chewed into another project this weekend, thant’s number four. I should go back to work i’s easier😁
Still working on my back parlor ceiling although it is almost done, started the first of this summers windows, am currently jack hammering out the old cement front steps in preparation for a proper Victorian porch and lastly have a 10x12 steel gazebo to build. What will I do in April, I don’t know but I certainly hope is not in addition to the four current projects .
Ron

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Update on the back parlor project. It is finished for this year. The ceiling and moldings are in primer and ready for colour, but that’s next winters project. Finished the clean up today.
IMG_0051.jpeg
IMG_0051.jpeg (476.89 KiB) Viewed 339 times
IMG_0050.jpeg
IMG_0050.jpeg (498.75 KiB) Viewed 339 times