Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, those are great pics, some I have seen, other I have not. We have made he decision to go with stand alone cabinets but highly dought I can convince upper management to go that rustic. Saying that, I think we will end up with newer appliances mixed in with our antique kitchen furniture and a great big farm sink. Also, wainscotting is stained alternating light and dark like your pics. Just hidden under at least three thick coats of paint.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Here's a pic of the pantry from the White House, c. 1909 with painted cabinetry:

WhiteHousePantry1909.jpg
WhiteHousePantry1909.jpg (219.13 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Stripped and varnished is nice, but so much work !

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

figuring out what we are going to do with this floor.

As I said on your other thread... consider paint... it can look really good and it's much less work than all that varnish malarky
Mick...

Willa

Post by Willa »

Yes to painted cabinets, and/or woodwork particularly if they have been previously painted. If new(old) cabinets are similar but not an exact match, paint can be the great serviceable unifier.

I don't know about the carpet in the White House pantry though !

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Not really related the house proper but I finally got enough time and weather to finish the roof on my new shed.
Next up staining the same colour as the bricks on the house.

Willa

Post by Willa »

That looks like one of those tiny homes, very cute and spacious for a shed.

Lucky lawnmower and shovels, with a home like that.

(The roof looks nice, too.)

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

I have really been enjoying catching up on your work. So inspiring!!

Thank you for posting the picture of your garden shed. I have been shopping around for one myself, and trying to find one that I can paint and will somewhat be in keeping with what would have been on the property of my 1880s farm.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, it was a bit of a selfish purchase on my part. I spend so much time in the dog house, thought I might as well find bigger digs.
Southernlady, thanks. No more inspiring than the work of others, including yourself. I just hope to keep up. As far as shed styles, I bet there are a few from the period still standing in your area you can get a general feel of the style.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, the weather been the sh!ts all week so got some inside work done. The kitchen is even closer to 1880, at least half the kitchen is. Spent the day stripping wall paper yesterday.
Had a bit of discovery, I always thought we had tinted plaster in here, a light olive colour. But no, it has a very thin layer of paper that looks to have been set into the plaster when wet. Don't know from a building perspective why, other than it gives you a none plaster surface to paint. May be one of the smart folks have an answer. As in the rest of the home, the plaster is in exelent condition with only minor crack repair.
Got only half the kitchen stripped.
I have also confirmed the location of the original sink.
Upper management discoverd the view of the river and back yard with the sink in this location and will be happy to relocate it back to this spot. From a plumbing view not a big deal other than getting a drain vent over there. Maybe a cheater valve is in order.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Woo for progress! :dance:

It may not have been intentional, but the center detail (flower?) in the vertical wave pattern on the lace curtain scale very nicely with the width of the lower wood (Is that too wide to be beadboard?) in there. If it was intentional, well done.

You post also reminded me I have some pictures to take in the cellar to ask for guesses as to what it is that I'm seeing.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.