Project updates and progress reports
Don M

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Don M »

Good work!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

It would appear to me that the kitchen has not had many changes in 140 years. I can work out three changes in all. More of an evolution than drastic change.
Starting from the chimney there is a faint outline of a slab, most probably for the original coal or wood range.
We have six holes in this area, three, maybe four, are mouse holes. One of the small round holes I suspect was for a gas range update, the round hole close to the chimney I believe was for an electric range update. If you notice were the current stove is, I believe it got moved to this location, I think this because in the bacement the current range plug has probably three meters of cable just hanging loose in the joists.
Moving around, this looks to be the location of the first plumbing in the kitchen.
Notice the trim has been removed from the wall in this area. There is also a bump in the plaster were I suspect a bit of a back splash was installed. This location is in line with the original drain plumbing as indicated in the basement. Also I believe ther was a form of resilient flooring here, but only a section, I found a few bits left. Also notice there was a lot of smoking at the sink judging by the row of cigarette burns in the floor. At the edge of the lino.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Moving further around the room. This was the location of the ice box.
Notice the water stains in the floor, further back is looks worse. I think they weren't so diligent with draining the drip tray. The location in my mind makes sense, an ice box fits nicely between the rear vestibule door and pantry door. Very convenient for the ice man.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

It all looks amazing to me, particularly that it sidestepped modern "improvements". Such an excellent rarity.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Your kitchen is lovely and clearly portrays the spirit behind the heart of the home notion. One can imagine any manner of day to day goings on taking place there.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

One more floor pic to post, this fill patch covers the hole for the circulation heater that was first installed.
Now comes the hard part, figuring out what we are going to do with this floor. And the kitchen as a whole. The saga of Gothichome will continue.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa wrote:It all looks amazing to me, particularly that it sidestepped modern "improvements". Such an excellent rarity.

Yes, that is one of the problems we face. Were do we go from here. As the kitchen sits now it is as close to 1880 as it will ever be. What level of upgrade or restoration do we want!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily left the valley wrote:Your kitchen is lovely and clearly portrays the spirit behind the heart of the home notion. One can imagine any manner of day to day goings on taking place there.

Lily, in 1880 this was a working kitchen and would not been a family hang out as modern kitchens are now. Although, I suspect in reality, it was used by family more often than conventional theory of Victorian life would have us believe.

Willa

Post by Willa »

My $ 0.02 (CAN) - since you've got all that trim and beadboard in the kitchen, I vote for leaving that, and configuring around it. Do whatever you need to do to make it a functional kitchen for you without tearing stuff out. If you do have to tear out beadboard/trim, set it aside, labelled in the basement.

Light fixtures and appliances can be removed/upgraded. There's obvious signs that things like stoves and appliances have previously moved around, which is just the evolution of the house.

Making a period correct 1880's kitchen becomes challenging if you also want to cook in it, too. A few people have done this, but it sounds like it can be a major hassle unless you have happened upon a period correct kitchen in intact and functional condition, in a property that is going to be demolished.

The 50's cabinets can be replaced with antique cabinets - if/when you can find them in the right size and configuration. Or you could leave the 50's cabinets, as a nod to the history which had already happened in the house before you bought it.

One thing I would not do is put an upgraded kitchen in that you cannot undo. No faux Tuscan or French monolithic cabinetry, multicolored ceramic backsplashes, complicated faucets, dang potlights, goofy pizza oven fireplaces or giant island work surfaces that look like autopsy tables.

It is so, so rare to find an intact period kitchen unless the house was boarded up since 1930 or so. Here are a couple of pics from my files - from the internet somewhere ?

victoriankitchen.jpg
victoriankitchen.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 339 times

IS5q3mpamhf8120000000000.jpg
IS5q3mpamhf8120000000000.jpg (25.84 KiB) Viewed 339 times

106-N-Vine-St-3.jpg
106-N-Vine-St-3.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 339 times

Willa

Post by Willa »

The pics I was searching for. I think these were from an incredibly intact home that had been sold and the new buyer stripped all the old stuff like fixtures and trim for salvage :(

old kitchen 2.jpg
old kitchen 2.jpg (340.26 KiB) Viewed 333 times

original kitchen.jpg
original kitchen.jpg (23.92 KiB) Viewed 333 times

original kitchen 2.jpg
original kitchen 2.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 333 times