Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, the yellow room is back together.
In time, we'll fill it out with pictures and period antiques. Was out on the prowle all day yesterday for a light to no avail. So we have to live with the cheap square shade light for now.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Awesome job GH!
Mick...

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Gothichome wrote:Onward progress on the kitchen floor project. Started lifting the tiles today. I feel I got extremely lucky with this floor. Between the tiles and the floor they had a thick paper board layer, there to even out the floor for the tiles. This proved very advantageous for removal, the tiles were stuck down with the black mastic (that we've all come to hate) onto the paper board. I found I could get under the tiles with my scraper with ease and pull the tiles up one by one with no fuss. Bonus! I also found, just soaking the remaining paper with a soaked towel I could remove the paper also with ease, and now if I wasn't lucky enough on this project, the paper board was glued down with a what appears to be a clay based glue. And it's water soluble. Just cleans off the floor with a wet cloth followed by a dry wipe.
IMG_0265.JPG
This a pic of the area I was working on. It shows the tile, paper, and original floor.
IMG_0266.JPG
If you look just beside the table leg, you can see what the floor looks like after washing off the clay glue.
Sorry for the lack of glamour pics, be patient, glamour picks very soon.

To self, "always lay down thick paper board before tiling; in consideration of 'the next guy'."

Personally, I prefer these types of pics. It's what one has to start with that's the most interesting to me.

Unfortunately, now having heard of your good luck lifting the the tiles, it's going to be a hope, in the back of my mind, that every similar job I have to do will be so easy. But, if my past experience is any indication, yours' was a "lottery win".
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Unfortunately, our luck doesn't extend to our lottery tickets. Long before we started the floor I lifted a vent and could see the paperboard layer but thought it was some form of early sixties particle board and expected not only the black mastic but nails as well. Was not looking forward to that kind of effort. Almost have the whole floor lifted. Stand by for pics.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Antique gasolier single light for sale in Toronto. Would this work for the bedroom ? Maybe the seller would be willing to ship ?

https://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/atq/5990814230.html

00Y0Y_hqAH0yZ9Jr0_1200x900.jpg
00Y0Y_hqAH0yZ9Jr0_1200x900.jpg (10.97 KiB) Viewed 329 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, thanks for the tip. That lamp is very nice but not really what we are looking for unfortunately. We have two white Fenton coin dot shades. I am on the hunt for a period electric with shade fitters. Preferably unrestored an of course cheap.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Post a pic of what you are looking for. I am on the hunt for a better fixture for my dining room so I am looking regularly.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Looks terrific. I love the drapery.

Is the harp looking part of the wash stand for a hand towel or mirror? I'm not too familiar with that furniture type as yet.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, it's for towels. Willa, I don't know yet what we want, but when we see it, we'll know.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Once again folks progress has been made. The kitchen floor has been lifted, for those of you interested I got somekitchen history to report.
For an over all reference here is the kitchen as it is today.
Lookining down one side
And down the other side looking the other way.
The floor is in pretty good shape over all I think. The middle (under the table) has what I would have expected for a general table area, just what you see in the above pics.