Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
1806 Colonial
Settling in

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by 1806 Colonial »

I vote for restoring the painted finish. If you can find some pictures of similar finishes to show management you may have an easier time negotiating.

Jeff

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

I just checked with my upper management and she said RESTORE!

Jeff
Last edited by 1806 Colonial on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wow, that is really exceptionally lovely! Yes, indeed my vote goes to restore it.!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I believe it's the rusty red stain she can't get past.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:I believe it's the rusty red stain she can't get past.

She doesn't like it in the room you restored?
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Yes, she believes the red is too orange. Maybe if I redo the red to more of a paler shade, that will bring her around. I have talked her into two colours at least, the ebony and the brown is a go. Maybe one of the many smart folks here can suggest a lighter rust red that would be appropriate from their experience.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Yes, she believes the red is too orange. Maybe if I redo the red to more of a paler shade, that will bring her around. I have talked her into two colours at least, the ebony and the brown is a go. Maybe one of the many smart folks here can suggest a lighter rust red that would be appropriate from their experience.

Maybe rather than lighter you should go for a deeper, ox blood red?
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, we are still in negotiations on the staining. But to continue, the first room for restoration we tackled was one of the bed rooms. We chose this as our practice room, because the ceiling and wall paper were almost falling off under Thier own weight.
The here you can see the the only two papers that were on the walls as well as the ceiling papers.
It looks like the ceiling was originally painted while the walls had paper. If, like the rest of the home, this room was repapetd in 1964 the ceiling got paper as well.
This is the original wall paper, 1880 vintage. The banding in the first pic would go with this.
Sort of a wispery leaf or feather pattern with flowers and a bow. The bow looks like it tied the pattern together as it went across the walls. Looks as I may I could not find a match in the wall paper link posted in the resource section.
The room, stripped of all the paper. The plaster has never seen paint or even calcimate so in my view was always had paper from new. The plaster is in amazing condition with only a minor area of failure. Mostly just stress crack repairs needed. Also, if you look carefully, you can see the repair on the wall were a stove chimney pipe was removed. This Leeds to believe each room had it own little wood stove.

Still amazes me how little the home changed, In 1964 that original paper was still the only paper ever put up. That's 84 years with he same paper. I suspect we'll see the same in the other rooms as well.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Amazing that Gothic home was largely untouched or upgraded in all those years!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome back, how come you only show up after the work is done, I think your only showing up for the free wine that goes with the tour :think: . Either way, I'm happy to provide both.
Been scraping away the greenish paint, only one coat of paint. We used the circa stripper but am starting to hear rumours about a heat gun working better.
You can see this room also has the tri tone staining as well.
The finished stripping, still needs a light sanding, but from here on we are going in the right direction.
Not sure but I believe we have two different woods involved here. Or maybe some stain prep by the stainer. That fellow would have been a separate trade from the finish carpenter back then