Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Willa »

Gothichome - is that powder blue paint on the trim original to when you bought the house ? I find it quite appealing in your vintage kitchen.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, the blue we inherited. It covers a coat of white, then green and under it all a stain.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ladies and gentlemen, some updates to post. First off the shed has been stained, still got a little bit of cutting in to do when weather permits.
Sorry for the dark pic, it's overcast and rainy here today.
Also, we found a light for the yellow room. A couple of weeks ago we were out antiqueing, found this Lamp, it was covered in green chaulk paint (thanks a lot HGTV) but cheap enough. Got it stripped and rewired over the week and installed today. The shades are Fenton coin dots we bought a long while back in anticipation of this room.
We think it came out ok and it does maintain the lighter feel of this room.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, forgot to answer your question, just luck on the curtain. Think upper management got it from the Sally Anne. Yes, the wainscoting is tongue and grove, 3/4" thick fir.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Thankies, Gothic. Serendipity with the curtains then, and thanks for the wainscot clarification too.

I LOVE the shades on that lamp, and the fixture itself is neat in its own right. Combined, it's like an airy addition to the room. I've always had an odd fondness for subtle polka dotty sort of things.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, thanks. We think it works.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Folks, just thought I would post a pic of our old girl in today's mid morning sun. This will be the before picture for this seasons out side work.
The yard work is pretty well finished now, time to get to windows, finishing up the tuck pointing on the chimney and various other projects.
As you can see, I got to get that last window finished on the second floor (the green room) and the large central window above the door (one end of the hallway) If all works out I might get a set of the first floor windows done as well.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

More kitchen history to report. We have removed the last of the wall paper.
Top right the patch on the chimney for the stove pipe. To the left were the dark blotch is, I think Gothic home had a built in when built. The brown blotch appears to be stain.. I suspect it may have been an open shelf upper mounted on a larger bottom cabinet. On the door side we have some filling as if cleats for mounting the shelves had been removed. Also suspect it may ave been done about 1962 when the forced air furnace was installed, probably was in he way of the ducting run to the second floor. On the floor there is an outline of the cabinet section. The top layer of vinyl flooring was installed after removal but there was none of the green tile under the vinyl. So I know the cabinet was there at least up to 1962.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Even more history to report. What we originally thought was a green tinted plaster turns out to be paint.
Behind the stove we have the outline of a shelf above the wainscoting and behind it is blue paint. Combined with the bits of blue we have poking through the green but before the 1962 wall paper, the kitchen was painted every were with the blue. Who knows how long ago that was, the blue has been on the waincotting a long time, and the white under the blue even longer. I know under the white on the wainscotting it was stained but we have no clue as to what colour walls went with the stain. Maybe as we work through the kitchen that will come apearent.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, I think upper management and the working class have come to a general consensus.
At his moment we a shooting for a look similar to a pic Willa posted.
We have most of the antiques to make the this happen, only need to find the farm house sink. Only nod to modern living will be modern appliances. We will not be trying to hide them but we do have a general plan to integrate them.