Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Gothichome »

Folks, this is the story of Gothichome. I'll update as I get time.

Mick_VT

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Folks, this is the story of Gothichome. I'll update as I get time.

:popcorn:
Mick...

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Well? :popcorn:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, for those who have seen the pics or know of the work we've been doing this will be a bit of a rehash. My hope is to keep this thread sort of chronological.
A long long long time ago when th, earth was still new...... Well OK five years ago.
The wife ( here after referred to as upper management) and I had been looking at old homes for a long time, looking to set ourselves up for retirement. We saw many over the years none though struck our fancy. That is till we visited the Chatham ont area,
Did the usual checking out the MLS listing for the area, found a few the looked promising. One was an inner city home, not realy much left but nice exterior. Second again had a nice Victorian exterior but as most, the interior was a complete gut and dry wall. Last on the the list was a a rather large, well massive home on a river on a fat half acre. Did the tour, gasped and Ooooood, upper management and I trading glances of approval as we walked the home. Well, before we walked out the front doors, in our minds this was our new home.
And this is it Gothichome

These pictures were from the showing with the realtor. The woman who was selling was 94 years old, and in no position to maintain such a home. Her family bought and moved in in 1964.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

The deal was done, for better or worse we are now a two home family. I was out of country for posset ion day so upper management handled the lawyers ect and handed over the cheque. This is how we received the old girl won't you come in I'll give you the tour.
The main hall, to the right is the front parlour let's have a look

Going back across the hall we enter the dinning room, notice the paneling, it goes around the hole room.

Going back into the hall turn right to we see the back door.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wow, what a beauty!

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

The woodwork is stunning. Your front doors are just incredible. I am really glad someone like you is caring for this house!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

that is a very special home, if the walls could talk...do you know any of the history of the family? (it's possible you shared on OHW or WG but my memory is failing...) it appears that the home was kept in relatively good condition compared to some other grand homes where the owners could not afford the upkeep...what's it like coming home at the end of a day and knowing that this gorgeous architectural gem is yours??

...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Val, Oaktree thanks for kind words. Although she's fortunately been spared every form or fad in remodelling she's no grander than all the other homes on this board. Oaktree, one with the sunset is just an old swamp willow, the tree in front of mu boots is a Tulip tree, it has a proper name just never remember it. Both, in the view of an arborist, were planted about the same time the home was built. We also have three black walnuts.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jade, from what I have put together, the family were loyalist settled on a farmstead down river about 1823. They were given a 200 acre plot. As the family grew they spread out up the river and surounding area. Our home was built by the oldest son. At one point Gothichome was the centre of a 600+ farm. The farm still exists across the road but the area between the road and the river has been subdivided over time. That leaves Gothichome sitting on a fat half acre. More on the history a bit later.