Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Quality and attention to detail throughout. The old guys really knew how to build them right! Now its slap them up, move on, and all comes tumbling down in a few years. This is certainly not a throwaway house. You are very lucky to have it and are great care taker.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Al F. Furnituremaker wrote:Quality and attention to detail throughout. The old guys really knew how to build them right! Now its slap them up, move on, and all comes tumbling down in a few years. This is certainly not a throwaway house. You are very lucky to have it and are great care taker.

I am continually amazed how the farmer-builders solved problems without the aid of power equipment & electricity. No flooding or water issues in our 1830s bank barn; spring water runs thru the cellar when the water table is high but it drains out back into the run without the use of a sump pump. They lifted huge rocks into place when constructing the walls of the barn & house & they are as good as they were when built 185 years ago!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Beautiful window work!

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

My brother found some similar window hardware, pic attached. He got 33 of them from a house that is being razed in the very near future. Stinks that the house is going down, but at least he is saving some nice embellishments. And you can't beat the price - $0! Didn't mean to hijack, but once I saw your pic, I had to share.
Attachments
IMG_6980.JPG
IMG_6980.JPG (282.27 KiB) Viewed 15071 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nice latches. I had to buy the whole home to get mine, tell him he should by lottery tickets with that sort of luck.

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

I absolutely love your house! I can't imagine the amount of work it is to restore everything on a house that big, as well as routine maintenance. But I'm glad it's in good hands. Cheers!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Prozart, compaierd to most here my restoration efforts are minimal consisting of plaster crack repairs, paint scraping and windows. Most of which is just catching up on 50 years of deferred maintenance. But thanks for the nice words.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well hello, you must of heard I got some winter work done in the home. Let me show you the great discovery we found. Being the first winter with the home we were dying to see what was under all that white paint, and the main hall is just the place to start.

What delitefull suprise we found, we have wood panelling with three colours. Ebony black, a rusty red and brownish gold. The little balls are panted metallic gold. They must have gave the hall a bit of a bling under the oil lamps.
In all there was only two coats of white paint, so not so bad a job. For lack of knowing any better way we used the circa furniture stripper. Worked great on most of the wood.
Here is what the field colour should be.
The field colour is actually grained, the ebony framing has a thick undercoat of grey some thing? All I know is it's impervious to circa paint stripper and gets sticky with the heat. The rusty red panels don't appear to be grained.
Here is the wall as it is today. What's left to do? Well, get it sanded down to bare wood. And start putting it back. The wood I believe is clear pine or some other high grade deal. Not one knot in the whole thing and those are wide boards and they are very white for wood.
Only issue with this project is finishing. The working class is in negotiations with upper management regarding the finish. I want to restore, upper management wants it to be all one stain. Negotiation continue.

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

My vote is to restore it.
Last edited by Al F. Furnituremaker on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

You totally should restore that its quite beautiful and unique, shame to make it like every other piece of wood panelling out there
Mick...