Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Gothichome »

This the before pic when we first bought.
That seems so long ago, At least ten going on eleven years. Were does the time go.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

OOOooohhh!!!
Bonnie

Munch517
Settling in

Post by Munch517 »

The new windows and paint look fantastic
Follow the progress on my house:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12988

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Munch, Bonnie. Thanks for the kind works.
This project took a lot longer than I was expecting. All the scraping, sanding, filling and repairs. Who would have thought it would be two months of hard graft. But it should last for another 140 years..
Some of the problems I had to over come, a lot of those fussy trim bits on the lower half of the door were held on with cobwebs and old paint most were cracked from age shrinkage. The 1964 door knob install cut through the tendon, weakening the door. The fill were the original door knob was was pretty shaky so it all had to be reconsolidated before I could creat a new mortise.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Amazing transformation, and very clever in a number of ways.

The windows turned out beautifully!

The before and after really does show that restoration is totes worth it. :dance: I also like the fact that you mention how long it had been. That helps settle my own inner demons as to why certain things just haven't happened yet--they will, just not today!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, for those who are interested, the ten year off and on restoration of the main floor hallway and entrance is coming to a close (I hope). I finished the staining on the inside of the front door yesterday. Spent today dusting and putting everything in it’s place. Oh, and tomorrow, I will probably be dusting again. The sanding dust gets every were as many of you know.
This is the view if you were leaving Gothichome out the front door.
The before
Now if you were not a tradesman you could use the front door, and this is what greets you.

And the before.

Now it’s on to this winters major project the upstairs bathroom, finish the japanning of our new China cabinet, start another bedroom or the front parlour.we’ll see thing play out.
Ron

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, as mentioned in the ‘what I did today’ heading I have started the upstairs bathroom refit. I now have these turn of the century to early 1900s taps. We have no need for them, if any one here in the District would like them for the cost of postage. PM me.
They were last used two days ago and do not leak.
Ron

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Some more old home archeology. Things I found under and behind the green bathtub.
The plumbing was done well in1962
Signs of the original plumbing in the floor boards. Lots of holes
And a bit of wallpaper, the Greek key boarder at the ceiling, This goes with the 30’s or 40’s wall paper.
Oh, by the way the green tub is gone, some finally picked it up. Unfortunately they were scrappers. They were the only ones to reply. Was really hoping an old home person wanted it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

This weekend I managed to get the tub rough in done. Now to start lifting floor boards.i have an issue to deal with though. The wall is built on top of the floor boards between the joists. I have to figure out a way to support the wall once I cut the boards.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I assume that with the free standing tub the wainscott and flooring would have been finished in wood, but maybe not. do you think the bathroom floor was tiled? Wondering what your plan is.