Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Gothichome »

An update on the front door progress. Have the door stripped of paint and the course repairs done as of yesterday.
Today I have removed the 1964 vintage door knob and have glued up a plug to fill the hole and am doing some finish sanding. If all works out I might have the Eastlake door hardware fitted.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Nice work!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Gothichome wrote:Texas, the panel is recessed into the the door. The OG piece brings the trim up to the level of the door rails and stiles the flat hides the seam and the half round adds the extra hight and detail.

Yeah, my point was that our doors don't have any seams and no trim pieces that protrude over the face of the rails and stiles! The only exception are truly fancy doors, e.g. in some ca.-1900 railway stations. I've got a bit of cut-up stile from a door some awful moron butchered (cut it into pieces and hid it behind some new knotty pine paneling in the mid-90s) that shows quite nicely how these doors were built so I'll try to take pictures of that.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that whole entrance way was a work of art. Its nice to see you restoring it so carefully and meticulously.
I can see how you are having fun with it. Its always nice to work on something that was so nice from it's conception.
They sure don't make em like that anymore !
is your bird keeping you company? ;-)
I have a neat wrought iron bird cage stand. Always figured I'd find a real vintage birdcage, but my girlfriend hates birds and my cat would go nuts trying to get at it.
maybe a hanging fishbowl.

what are you using for filler for small cracks and things?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Texas, with the amount of two inch half rounds and four inch OG moulding in Gothichome you would think there was a sale on the stuff that day.
Phill over the top was the key word when they built Gothichome, no reason to stop at just the plaster.
I heard a story (unconfirmed) that the fellow who built our home was competing with his brother (on the other side of the river) as who could build the fanciest home. The house still stands and from the outside looks to be pretty fancy as well. I have never seen the inside of the home but would expect it to be fancy as well. As to who won, I have no idea, but I do know we think we have won to now be the owners and restorers.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

An update, picked up Gothichomes new front door windows today.

This long weekend is offering painting weather. So if all goes well I will be painting this weekend.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

What difference those will make with your front door. Beautiful!

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Those are stunning!

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Oh, Ron, those are beautiful! They will look wonderful in the door.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok folks, the front door project is done, well almost.
The out side is finished. Painted in a traditional black/green paint (SW’s Emerald urethane door and trim paint).
A close up of one of the leaded glass windows from the outside.
And our antique Eastlake boor hardware.
If you have sharp eyes and a good recal of the original you will notice my solution to hiding the door sweep weather stripping.
I had two issues with the very bottom of both the doors and the side panels, there was a bit of rot, only about 5mm (3/16”) were it was in contact with the sill. I had some original fir trim from the up stairs bath room, I I cut it in half along its length and back primed it.
For the rot, I drilled many holes and used a liquid plasticizer to stabilize and caulked. Then trimmed out the repair with my newly cut trim. For the trim on the doors I created a dado to accept the rubber weather strip.
I still need to source a modern dead bolt with an Eastlake pattern to replace the 1964 deadbolt to complete the door. Also, I have to install my bronze weather strip and complete the trim on the inside of the door. After that I can complete the staining to match the rest of the hall way.
One more picture with a truly great OOOoooo factor (but I am biased), the windows looking out.