1870 CT house-works in progress

Project updates and progress reports
Catheetiem
Settling in

1870 CT house-works in progress

Post by Catheetiem »

Good morning everyone!! I finally decided to start a thread documenting the work we've been doing on our 1870 house in southwest CT. It'll help keep us accountable, and also serve as good documentation and a nice timeline of what we've done. Of course, being able to ask for your advice is a big motivating factor too :)

This first post will be long as I detail what we've done in the past month, and what we plan to do in the future.

Sooooo I've already introduced myself and my house, but here it is again, in the snow this time!

We've done the floors, which had been under carpet for 30 years. When we pulled them up they tested positive for lead, (came here for advice on that one, thank you guys!!) and we ended up having a lead consultant come out with an XRF gun so we could really get an idea of what we were dealing with. They said that there is lead paint in the house (expected) but most of the positives I was getting from the floors were dust from a renovation done in the 90s that hadn't been cleaned up all the way. The white paint around the borders of the walls in the living room is lead paint, but most of the results were from dust. We decided that since we'd have to clean it all up anyway, we might as well refinish the floors rather than installing something new on top. So here are the pictures of the floors!!

Before:
Foyer/dining:
Living (previously an entrance and bedroom):

Looking back, I can't believe how awful they looked lol. We hepa vacuumed, wet mopped, did 3 passes with hepa sander (using mostly a random orbital sander), cleaned out each and every groove, filled some of the worst spots with wood filler, vacuumed again, then used TSP on the walls, trim, and doors. Here the rooms are right before staining:

During:
living:
living:
foyer/dining:
downstairs bed:

We decided to go with a dark stain for multiple reasons. We like dark, to begin with haha. Then, the floors are far from perfect and have some stains that did still remain after sanding, and some replacement boards that are a different type of wood; we wanted to try to hide some of these features. Finally, the oldest color we found on the floors was a dark reddish shellac. So we did one coat of minwax espresso on the floors, and 3 coats of poly. Here they are, all finished!

Finished:
downstairs bed:
living room:
stairs (not original-put in in 1992):
foyer:

They are not perfect, by any means, but we wanted them to look like the 150 year old floors they are. Also, it's our first time doing floors, so we're pretty happy with how they came out! In the summer we may go back and fix some of the poly bumps, but for now we need to move on so we can move in at the end of January (we already extended the stay in our rental a month longer than we planned!)

We're moving on to the kitchen now. It needs a complete gut, but for the time being we have to make do with just paint and some quick fixes, the gut will come in a year or two. The kitchen is basically all from 1992. The PO said when he bought it it was almost more like a 3-season room with just a giant stove in the middle of the room (we can see the base in the basement and the hole cut out in the floor for it!). The cabinets are clearly older and from a different house (PO was a contractor and probably wound up with them), the appliances are a little updated, all from around 2013/2014 or so. There are mice that seem to come up from the basement. The tenant who lived in it before we bought it had birds, and they seem to have enjoyed the birdseed. We caught 3, but there are surely more. There was mouse poop in the bottom of most of the cabinets, and underneath the stove and dishwasher. We pulled those out to clean, which was gross. There must be some underneath the cabinets as well, but we're just going to have to live with that I guess. The mice haven't been up in the kitchen in a week or so, we have some repellant down, and when we finally move in we do have a cat so hopefully that will keep them at bay. For now we've painted the insides of the cabinets, the cabinets themselves, and the walls. We'll get new (cheap) hardware to update things a bit while we wait for the big renovation.

kitchen before:
Really old contact paper on all the drawers/shelves. So awful to get out!!

We painted the kitchen cabinets in "pencil point" by behr, and the walls in "calm" by benjamin moore. It was definitely a hassle trying to match everything to the floors. These pictures are with only one coat on the walls, we did the second coat last night.

Tonight I'll be painting the foyer in Benjamin Moore "shadow". We'd like to do a picture rail and two-tone it in the future, but right now we're just doing everything solid since we just need to move in. We're going to be living downstairs when we first move in while we work on the upstairs.

We have a long list of projects we want to do. We'll be doing the roof in the spring, also adding and replacing gutters. We want to contact a landscape architect or something like that; the structural engineer recommended removing all the plants to keep water away from the foundation, but I also read that plants are important for soil integrity, so we need another opinion on that one. We're going to add some support columns to the basement and reinforce part of the floor that has had it rough for the past 150 years. Repaint windowsills, there is lead paint underneath and the latex is near the end of its life. Further down the road, we want to get rid of the wall that's enclosing the staircase and add railings, balusters, and a newel post. Redo the kitchen, redo downstairs bath, upstairs bath. Strip and finish floors upstairs (another whole ordeal-I can see the same white lead paint peeking through the upstairs as the downstairs-ugh). Do something with the front of the house, extend the porch or add a window or something. And I'm sure there's a whole lot more I'm forgetting!

Anyway, I'll be updating here as I go along and probably asking some questions too. If you've made it this far, thanks so much for reading!!

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: 1870 CT house-works in progress

Post by mjt »

I love the color on your floors. Of course, I'm not biased. Coincidentally, we used "Espresso" on the floors for our (in-progress) remodeling project. See the "Retriever Ridge" thread over in Intros.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, you have come a long way in two weeks. It looks like you will be comfortable while conceptualizing your long term projects. Once your in, sit back and relax for a while. Let your plans mellow, you may find what you want now may not be what you’ll want in a few months. You may even decide to put some Victorian back into your home🤔.
Ron

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

mjt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 pm I love the color on your floors. Of course, I'm not biased. Coincidentally, we used "Espresso" on the floors for our (in-progress) remodeling project. See the "Retriever Ridge" thread over in Intros.
Haha thanks so much! I went to the post to see and unfortunately those two pictures of the floors aren't working! Only those two, of course. I went to your blog to see if they were posted there, and I noticed you said you Farrington house was designed by Cass Gilbert! He lived in my hometown (not far from where we are now) for a while, and designed a big fountain that sits on our main street, it's one of the landmarks we're most proud of! He owned a notable historic building in town and designed the gardens there too. The house now a museum and wedding venue, and I've been there many times! Small world haha.

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

Gothichome wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:07 pm Well, you have come a long way in two weeks. It looks like you will be comfortable while conceptualizing your long term projects. Once your in, sit back and relax for a while. Let your plans mellow, you may find what you want now may not be what you’ll want in a few months. You may even decide to put some Victorian back into your home🤔.
Ron
Haha yeah, we've been trying to get the things that are easier done when the house is empty accomplished. Luckily the timing has been pretty good, I'm a teacher (history, what else haha) so I had our winter break to spend every day there! A couple of snow days here and there (like today!!) have helped too.

Yes, putting victorian back into the home is exactly my goal! Painted the foyer/dining a purple color last night in an effort to bring some back in. I do have to compromise with my boyfriend though, while he does like some Victorian aesthetic, he is not as keen on living in a museum as I am haha. So I get my purple room, and he gets his gray living room haha.

The bathroom renovations will be an effort to bring some Victorian back in, we're in agreement there. There was no bathroom in the house until around the 50s I believe, and that one was an addition off the kitchen that is now the laundry room. The two bathrooms in the house now were put in in the 90s so they're pretty blank slates for us. I saw the bathroom you're doing in your house and it looks absolutely gorgeous. That type of styling is what we were thinking of going for!

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Catheetiem wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:26 pm
mjt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 pm I love the color on your floors. Of course, I'm not biased. Coincidentally, we used "Espresso" on the floors for our (in-progress) remodeling project. See the "Retriever Ridge" thread over in Intros.
Haha thanks so much! I went to the post to see and unfortunately those two pictures of the floors aren't working! Only those two, of course. I went to your blog to see if they were posted there, and I noticed you said you Farrington house was designed by Cass Gilbert! He lived in my hometown (not far from where we are now) for a while, and designed a big fountain that sits on our main street, it's one of the landmarks we're most proud of! He owned a notable historic building in town and designed the gardens there too. The house now a museum and wedding venue, and I've been there many times! Small world haha.
Here's a link to a more complete photo album of the work we're doing to this house. Maybe one of floor pictures there will work for you. I'm not blogging about this house since it's neither historic, nor old by THD standards. I'm leaving the old blog in my signature just because. Hope you enjoyed it.

Gilbert was a fairly prominent architect nationally. Since Saint Paul was his boyhood home and where he spent a good part of his early career, we're fortunate to have quite a bit of his work around the area. Your town's fountain and my former house are in good company with the Minnesota, West Virginia, and Arkansas capitols as well as the US Supreme Court building, NY Life building, Woolworth building, among many others.

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

Thought I'd update as we've done a few things! We moved in a week and half ago, and are currently living downstairs while we work on the upstairs. Once we're all set up there we'll switch and finish up a few things we left unfinished downstairs.

kitchen cabinets are on!
Not the best lighting, but whatever. We still need to decide on hardware for them. We're planning on going with something brass, and we want them to fit the existing holes in the doors. We're not being super picky because we only plan on having this kitchen for a couple years before we rip it all out, but we're still having trouble finding something we like.
We'll probably install new laminate countertops too, these old ones are really tired and the beige looks dingy in there. I think it's like under $200 for new ones.

Foyer/dining is purple!!! It's "shadow" by benjamin moore.I think these pictures are before the second coat, but they give an idea.

We still need to do the trim in this room. It's something we'll have to come back to once the upstairs is done.

Living room on move in day!!!
Everything's all painted. It was supposed to be a blueish-gray/gray-ish blue but it ended up being very green. It's whatever, it works.

And our new vent covers!
We like these a lot, and they're so much better than the beige ones that were here when we moved in.

We put a support column in the basement where there was some old termite damage to the main beam. My boyfriend feels a lot better now :) We also had a pest control guy come in, because despite us and our cat moving in, we were still finding droppings in the kitchen. He set a million traps and plugged some holes, and we actually haven't smelled them or seen them since. We also haven't caught any in the traps, so don't know what that's all about. Maybe his disturbance combined with our cat and us was enough to scare them off? I probably shouldn't wonder that so soon, it's only been a few days since he was here.
Had the vents cleaned out yesterday too. I know a lot of people think it's a useless waste of money, but I feel a bit better after doing it. They were quite visibly dirty and I don't think it's been done, ever, in the house. The people before us had pets and don't seem to have been the neatest. So, now they're clean and I'll know any crap in there is our own haha.

I also was able to do some of my favorite work, historical research! I majored in history and loved research, I am thrilled that I have 150 years of history to uncover in this house.
I confirmed a lot of things that I thought I knew, but wasn't totally 100% certain on, so that was nice. I learned a fair deal more, but still have a lot to go too! Here's what I know so far.

The house was built between 1867 and 1876. A map from 1867 does not have this house on it, it did not exist. The deed to the first owner (Conrad) from the factory is from 1876, although I don't know if it was transferred immediately after it was built or not. The house next door is at least 3 years older than the town says, because it is on the 1867 map. Conrad owned the house next door, and then bought this one as well. This tied the two properties together and they stayed together until 1927.
Conrad was a German immigrant born in around 1834. He had come to the US by 1860 and met his wife, Mary Jane, and Irish immigrant, here. They had a number of children together, although at this point I can't tell what happened to them. One died at 3, the others I'm unsure about. Conrad was a foreman in the factory just down the road (even by my modern, car-centric standards, it's walking distance). He was a member of the local Freemason lodge from at least the 1860s to the 1890s. He was elected as Tyler multiple times, and had been "exalted" which I have little understanding of, but from limited research seems to be a pretty good achievement. His wife died when she was 42 (he was 44). I don't believe he remarried, but I'm not certain. He died in 1893 of tuberculosis at the age of 59. His estate did go to probate court, so this is something I need to look into. Online records don't have his case, so hopefully the town does.

At this point I lose the house for a bit. I will have to go through the land records from 1893 and hope that it got transferred upon his death and I can find it that way. The next time I find it again is when a woman, Anna, is selling the land to Edward. This sale doesn't reference an earlier deed book and page like later ones do, so I need to find this some other way. Unfortunately there are like 3 women with the same exact name in town at the time, which makes it difficult to parse out. This is what I'm working on now.

Anyway, in 1920 Anna sells the two houses to Edward. Edward is the son of Irish immigrants and has lived in town his whole life. He was born around 1882 and had a brother, Martin, and a number of sisters (Mary, Margaret, Lena, and Bridget? Bridget and Lena might be same, not sure yet). His father, Edward Sr, met his mother, Margaret, here. His father worked in the factory, his mother worked in a hotel in town. She died in childbirth in the late 1880s. He died after being sick in 1903, with Martin taking care of him. All the children went to school in town, and all did very well, earning As and Bs. Martin was involved in the band, and spent some time with Margaret working at the farm of an older couple in town, where he learned to ride and drive horses. Edward went on to work at the factory as a shipping clerk.

Two of the sisters married, one stayed close (actually living with her brothers and her daughter for a time. I have never seen her living with her husband, I don't know what he did or why he was never around) and one moved 40/50-ish minutes away (now, back then it was obviously longer). The two brothers, Edward and Martin, never married. Martin ended up working at the factory too, as did a sister. Edward was burned by sulphuric acid at an incident at the factory in the late 1900s; he and the others involved ran headfirst into a tank of water. It was attended to quickly and I don't believe he was left signifcantly disfigured. The three all lived together with the sister's daughter. They honestly all seem like wonderful people from what I can tell. Edward was the registrar of voters in town for 16 years, until his death. He volunteered with some neighbors to clean up the overgrown cemetery. Martin was a member of the Knights of Columbus. The sister (I can't remember which, I always get Mary and Margaret mixed up!) volunteered at one of the local parks. In 1927 Edward sold the house next door, separating the properties. In 1930 he bought the surrounding 5 acres of land from the factory.

Martin died in 1936 after a week long illness. This is the only person who I know for certain died in the house, though I imagine there must be others. In 1937 Edward died suddenly while presiding over a caucus meeting, he actually slumped over dead in his chair. The newspaper reported that his death caused "widespread sorrow throughout the town."

Edward Sr, Margaret (mother), Martin, Edward, and Margaret are all buried in the cemetery up the road from the house, the one Edward helped clean up in 1924. His heirs were his two sisters and his niece. Shortly after his death the house was sold on it's current plot of land to William, John, and Anna (Father, son, and son's wife).
William and John were from Czechoslovakia, Anna was from Poland. They raised their children in the house. John died in the 1960s, Anna died in 1980. The land Edward had bought up in 1930 was sold to a developer in the 1960s, where a few ranches now sit. The house went to John and Anna's daughter, Dorothy, who lived in it with her son until 1992, when it was sold to the people we bought it from.

So, that's what I have so far. I'm missing a period from the 1890s to 1920; that's my current project. I'm going to be contacting the historical society in an effort to find out more, and hopefully find some pictures. However, they're only open on Sundays, and right now I don't have the time to take away from actually working on the house. For now I'm spending my free time at the town clerk's office, they have better hours lol.

Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks!! I love doing the research on the house and I hope someone out there finds it interesting in some way haha. Hopefully we'll get a lot done in the coming weeks and I'll have more pictures to post :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gezzz, that’s a lot of research. I feel fortunate to only be the fourth owner f our home, the research is much simpler. The floors came out great, you left just the correct amount of patina In my view.
As you, with the cabinet hardware, most often we find the simplest things seem to take the most time to decide on.
Ron

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

Gothichome wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:37 am Gezzz, that’s a lot of research. I feel fortunate to only be the fourth owner f our home, the research is much simpler. The floors came out great, you left just the correct amount of patina In my view.
As you, with the cabinet hardware, most often we find the simplest things seem to take the most time to decide on.
Ron
Yes, I love the research! Trying to locate every single source I can to make sure I have the most thorough and accurate understanding of the house's history as I possibly can. Finding out that Edward was somewhat of a known man throughout the town gives me a little more hope for the possibility of pictures!! Also, recently realized that our exterior window trim had been red at some point. Unless we find a picture the siding color will stay a mystery as it's been replaced in the last 50 years.

And thanks!! All credit to my boyfriend, he sanded those floors nearly all by himself on his hands and knees! Overall they were in pretty good shape so not a bad place to do our first refinishing job!

And ugh, it's been such a headache! I can only imagine what it'll be like when we're picking things out for the kitchen renovation, then the stakes are really high! Even getting the paint colors for upstairs nailed down has been a struggle, we've probably spent over $100 on paint samples so far, getting more today :crazy:

stonefarmhouse
Just Arrived

Post by stonefarmhouse »

Wow great job digging through records! I love trying to find out who's lived in my house, even the ones who painted the floors and doors pink :crazy:
Nice choice on the paint colours and great job on the floors, I've done that job before and it can be a real chore!