Introducing "Pumpkin's Castle"

Project updates and progress reports
TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Introducing "Pumpkin's Castle"

Post by TechieTechie »

Well, ole Smelly, now named Techie, found a house in Shaker Heights. I closed yesterday. It's a 1928 Tudoresque mini castle, built by AP Anderson, Architect David M Ward. Now named Pumpkin's Castle after his new furry owner. It's remarkable unremuddled, but POs have tastefully updated most of the electric, kept the exterior in fine shape and renovated the master bath. On a double lot, so plenty of room (well, in city terms, approx 12k sq feet) for Pumpkin to roam.

Short term plans are to:
1. Finish the electrical updating (1 old box, now serving as a junction box, remains)
2. Replacing some awful hanging fixtures (and maybe replacing all the outlets with period appropriate ones...though again, the latter may be phase 2)
3. Adding a period appropriate double door opening (or colonnade set) between the LR and DR. Rare that a house of this period doesn't have one
4. Stripping the paint on at least the 1st floor crown moulding (and maybe the 2nd floor doorways)
5. Refinishing the HWF

Long term plans
1. Period sensitively combine the tiny eating nook and tiny kitchen (and renovate the kitchen)
2. Move the rear entry from side of the house to the rear of the house (It was originally in the back, the pad and awning are still there!)
3. Maybe open the wall between the front entry and staircase to show off the gorgeous staircase. Period sensitively, of course. This wall may be brick, so it may never happen.
3. Maybe add a sunporch and/or walkway to connect the garage and the house
4. Maybe add a small pool

Here she is:
FrontOfHouse.PNG
FrontOfHouse.PNG (948.3 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
More pics here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Re: Introducing "Pumpkin's Castle"

Post by TechieTechie »

Oh, and here is the lord of the castle, enjoying (well, getting used to) his new home
PumpkinExploringHisCastle.jpg
PumpkinExploringHisCastle.jpg (182.39 KiB) Viewed 3912 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

OMG that's a beautiful house!

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Nice looking house! That green bathroom is very cool.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Congratulations on your new house! It's a beauty.

What's the trick to seeing the green bathroom? I see the exterior bird's-eye view and Pumpkin in the living room; that's it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jen, what a beautiful home you have bought. And with a nice suburban lot. I don’t see off hand any thing that needs redoing right away, just move in and enjoy. I have no need to mention the ‘give it time’ mantra before major projects. It looks like your In a bit of an upscale part of town, so it should be nice and quiet. I look forward to seeing what you will do in the house, if it’s any thing like your efforts on Smellyhouse, it will be a very lucky home indeed.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Techie, a closer look of the posted pic indicates the previous owners rebuild the top of the chimney and I suspect reclined the flew, also the lead roof over the gable window looks in pretty good nick. The roof, it looks like slate or an architectural shingle, looks perfect for the home. It’s has had proper maintenance over the years. And that’s a big bonus with an old home as you know.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Manalto wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 pm What's the trick to seeing the green bathroom? I see the exterior bird's-eye view and Pumpkin in the living room; that's it.
The link to google drive at the bottom of the original post that says "more pics here"...

TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Post by TechieTechie »

phil wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 pm OMG that's a beautiful house!
Thanks Phil....quite a step up from ole Smelly. I'm pretty psyched actually. Spent the day shopping for LR furniture. Anything I thought that may not make it as a long term prospect in my forever home got the heave-ho before I left.

Good news is that because I moved from such a high cost of living location, it was actually a reasonable cost, price wise. And, I am nearer my family, which is veddy nice indeed.

TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Post by TechieTechie »

mjt wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 am Nice looking house! That green bathroom is very cool.
Thank you. I totally agree. I'm not normally a green person, but I'll tell you what, I think the bathroom was almost never used. There is 1 crack in the floor tile, and I think at some point they replaced the cup and toothbrush holders (they are white tile, not green) but the tub is PRIS.TINE. No rust, no wear and the wall tile is flawless. I think it's even the original sink (or a dang good salvage replacement).

And the funny thing is, it will be the guest bath (aka the bathtub bath) because of the 3/4 ensuite master bath. I'm gonna buy a few stripey art deco towels and call it a day :)