Introducing "Pumpkin's Castle"

Project updates and progress reports
TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Re: Introducing "Pumpkin's Castle"

Post by TechieTechie »

Sorry, gang, it's been awhile since I posted. Things are WELL underway.

After a false start with electrician #1 (who wanted to remove all the baseboard to run wires) I have a VERY competent local team who is doing the whole house rewire. Literally everything except the kitchen is K&T. And, 2 'sub panels' off the main panel...which is a kind way of saying two massive (like 15 circuit) junction boxes. One K&T (feeding all the house except the kitchen) and 1 for the kitchen. Plus, the K&T is spliced and hot grounded...so it's all going. Electrician is rewiring EVERYTHING from the pole (exterior service from the pole, exterior box, interior box and the house (interior and exterior) and garage). They've been in the house since the beginning of June and have about 2 weeks left. They've done a really good job keeping the plaster intact. A dozen or two pilot holes to fish the wires, 1 overhead (in closet) that was badly cut, and 1 unfortunately bad cut in the 1st floor hallway ceiling. But, given they are swapping out 130+ fixtures, they've done a VERY good job not chopping up the lathe nor cracking the plaster.

Because the fixtures were a hot mess of 1 original fixture, lots of 1950s crap and a few decent modern fixtures, they are all going too. I bought all antique (and rewired, up to current code/UL) from Sherlock Antique Lighting in WA and Barton's Lighting out of CA. Something like 20 fixtures in all. See the pretty pics below :)

And, my crown refinisher bailed on me (heart attack) so I found a local place that will dip and strip (and stain). The DR crown is down, and I'm working on removing the hall crown now. I've done more damage to the walls removing the crown (particularly the corners) than the electricians. Good news is that I bought a new toy yesterday (Milwaukee cordless oscillating saw) so that I don't have to manhandle the plaster and lathe to remove the crown. Have a new system in place and have very little plaster damage in the hallway. Using a tiny crowbar, I make a few pilot 'holes' (center or corner, depending upon the piece) to get a tiny gap between the wall/ceiling and crown, run a big drywall knife in the gap to find the nails and bam, cut the nails. Works A.Mazing. In looking at the backside of the crown, it's 100 y.o. old growth pine, 8" wide...with some fantastic grain (no knots). Will look phenomenal once it's stripped and stained.

Next up is plasterer (early August) with painters coming in late August and floor guys first week of September. Hoping to move in late Sept after the floor offgasses for a few weeks.

Will try to get some pics of the wiring 'demo'....I've been very impressed. For now, enjoy the pics of my pretty fixtures :)
Attachments
2nd floor landing light
2nd floor landing light
20210626_114403[1].jpg (153.57 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
LR sconces, pain color and artwork
LR sconces, pain color and artwork
20210624_121555[1].jpg (181.02 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Lights for hallways (similar lights for attic)
Lights for hallways (similar lights for attic)
SampleHallLights.png (53.94 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
3 piece Hollophane lights for kitchen
3 piece Hollophane lights for kitchen
KitchenLights.png (84.53 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
New Bathroom Lights
New Bathroom Lights
GreenBathLighting.PNG (136.88 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
New Exterior Fixtures
New Exterior Fixtures
ExteriorFixtures.png (151.12 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
New Dining Room Chandelier...with matching sconces
New Dining Room Chandelier...with matching sconces
DRChandelier.PNG (551.55 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Electric hot mess
Electric hot mess
20210222_134139.jpg (201.23 KiB) Viewed 3019 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jenn,what beautiful lights you have purchased, they will be the perfect compliment to your fine home. Getting that knob and tube out, will give you piece of mind and maybe even lower your home insurance, did they ask? Can hardly wait for the pictures once every thing is finished.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Sounds like great progress. Very nice fixtures. I don't think I've seen wall sconces with that thick of a metal shade holder profile before. Love the detail on it.
I also admire wood grain, so I'm looking forward to seeing the crown when it's been stripped and stained. :popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Post by TechieTechie »

Thanks all....

Well, making progress on the house. Electricans connected the new panel to the new power line and I have precisely 2 lights and 1 outlet operational :) Good news is that tomorrow, they want to 'dry fit' all the new fixtures to ensure everything is connected properly. I'll have them leave up the ceiling fans, as the MBR is already painted and I can't imagine they'll screw up cutting in white paint to a white ceiling cup. However, the rest of the antique fixtures will come down and repacked until after the floors are done.

Painters finished up the attic and master bedroom last week. They did an okay, but not stellar job. In the attic, the cuts at the woodwork seem to be slopping (overspray, though the previous attic painters had oversprady) and the master bedroom cuts, particularly at the baseboard were slightly wavy. When they come back for the 2nd floor hall and 1st floor, you bet your booty I'm going to point this out and demand they improve..as the previous painters cuts (on the 1st and 2nd floors) were impeccable with razor straight lines and NO overspray.

And, more good news is that the Hall crown is down and I am getting better at not destroying the plaster. Bad news is that my makeshift approach to holding up a 10 foot piece of crown went awry. When I cut 2nd to last nails on the big piece, the other end of the crown tumbled off the ladder and the torque broke off a small (maybe 3 inch) corner of the crown. Dang 1920s carpenters had, at times, 4 nails in at the edge of a single piece....just can't win with these odds. Will have to get a new chunk fashioned. I was besides myself. But then again, I've removed probably 80 feet of crown and besides from a few small cracks and dings, this was my first real boo boo. So that's not too bad.

Here are some progress pics of the electrical and my crown removal.
Attachments
Wiring Jigsaw Puzzle
Wiring Jigsaw Puzzle
JigsawPuzzle.jpg (146.7 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
2nd floor office...the room with the most holes
2nd floor office...the room with the most holes
20210710_105314.jpg (120.27 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
2nd floor junction box
2nd floor junction box
20210710_105412.jpg (112.25 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Dining room
Dining room
20210710_105052.jpg (149.63 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Guess I need some plaster repair in the front hall
Guess I need some plaster repair in the front hall
20210710_105010.jpg (133.34 KiB) Viewed 2960 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jenn, all those wires hanging by the panel scare me, good thing the professionals know we’re they go. The ugly under construction pictures belie the grander to come. After the mess and restoration your home will have old home charm with the modern conveniences. I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts.
Ron

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Gothichome wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:39 am Jenn, all those wires hanging by the panel scare me, good thing the professionals know we’re they go.
When we rewired our house, the electrician labelled each cable at the panel end by writing on the jacket with a Sharpie. I did the same when I wired the attic.

TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Post by TechieTechie »

mjt wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 pm
Gothichome wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:39 am Jenn, all those wires hanging by the panel scare me, good thing the professionals know we’re they go.
When we rewired our house, the electrician labelled each cable at the panel end by writing on the jacket with a Sharpie. I did the same when I wired the attic.
The funny thing is that they didn't label them. I don't know why. But hey, I'm not paying them by the hour so I don't care :) They do have 2 main chases, but there has been a lot of yelling (is it X) over the last 2 days when they've started to connect the panel.

Thanks Gothic....I know this is the worst phase. Everything is still ugly and I'm tired. SO. MANY. DECISIONS. But I will be excited today (and will be able to start seeing end points) as they start putting up light fixtures :)