Stripping back the years

Project updates and progress reports
AntandJoe
Just Arrived

Stripping back the years

Post by AntandJoe »

Having got the keys to our new home (1880s Galloway cottage) a week before Chrismas, we decided 3 weeks of Lockdown was the ideal opportunity to make a start on our planned renovations. So on Boxing day we set about removing the modern fires surround, in readiness for installing a woodburning stove.

We hoped to find the original fireplace behind - which we were delighted to find had merely been hidden, but not blocked

In the process we spotted some interesting exposed stonework above the lintel, and decided to explore, uncovering an original Victorain cupboard in the alcove along the way

A couple of days later, we have ended up removing all the (1970s) plasterboard, and are well on to chipping away the (1950s) plaster beneath. Slightly more daunting is the original lime plaster behind that... we've pretty much cleaned up a small patch on the chimney breast, but the rest seems more resistant (I'm guessing the heat of 150 years of open fires had started it crumbling over the fireplace!).

Does anyone have any tips for loosening the hold of the old plaster, or is it just a case of painstaking work with a chisel and wire brush???

Also, any good tips for reducing the soot staining on the stone lintel over the fire? (Thinking we'll probably leave the actual chamber pretty much as is to add authenticity). I've tried a paste of washing up liquid plus Bicarb of Soda (found on Google), which has lifted some of the grime, but wondering if there is something which might prove a bit more effective?

Gothichome

Re: Stripping back the years

Post by Gothichome »

Hello once again, I have no hints on removing the soot staining, it might just become part of the charm of an old stone cottage. It sounds like you are looking for the rustic charm of stone walls? I believe when your home was built it would have been plastered. The fact the plaster I not falling off easily suggest it was plastered well, might be worth keeping on most of the walls.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That recessed cupboard was a nice find. I don't understand why someone would have covered it over.

I agree that there was most likely plaster over the stone on the chimney. Probably the only part that was exposed was the hearth stone, as is evidenced by the soot. I don't know of any easy way to cut through the soot other than old fashioned elbow grease and scrubbing.

AntandJoe
Just Arrived

Post by AntandJoe »

From what I can gather, the walls were probably just pointed stone originally, and then roughly plastered/rendered at a slightly later date - bare walls were a sign of poverty! - then re-plastered in the 1950s to give a smoother finish. The 50s plaster was badly cracked and much of it fell off at the first hammer blow. What is left underneath is very rough and ready and also crumbly - you really would not want that as a feature in your house!! Whereas the original stone is an attractive feature - or will be once cleaned up and re-pointed. Our neighbours have the equivalent wall in their house stripped back and it looks stunning - they are going to put us in touch with the previous owner to find out any tips she learned along the way when she did theirs!Image
Last edited by AntandJoe on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

you said you want to install a woodburning stove, did you mean like an airtight wood heater or a pot belly stove or? a as fireplace maybe? so then why restore the brick fireplace as well?

If you want to use this flu, then you might also want to check out if it has a smoke shelf. the burnt debris can fall upon the smoke shelf and collect there. with mine I removed a lot of this debris which is completely hidden from sight. some of them have cleanouts , like a plate outside the house. some have a plate so you can shoved the debris down and then clean the ash out downstairs. I have the ash dump but I just remove it from the firebox.

If you are installing an airtight wood stove check your local fire regs and your insurance to avoid surprises. with mine I can retain the fireplace, it's grandfathered but if I were to install a big stove that I can burn wood in and connect that to the flu then I'd have to tangle with fire insurance and bylaws and local building codes and may find it impractical or impossible. Your mileage may vary depending how strict they are where the house is. if you plan to put wood above the firebox the codes state some dimensions you have to adhere to and since this is new work it should follow current code.

My suggestion is to be clear where things are going because you dont want to get part way through and then find building codes or fire insurance issues stop you after you have invested.

This link tells a bit about how chimneys work and the different styles. it shows where the smoke shelf is that you may not be aware exists. I'd put on safety glasses and stick a light up there and see what you find. with mine I found I could get a vacuum cleaner hose up above the smoke shelf and sucked a whole lot out from there by wagging the hose about until there was no no more in there to collect. that partly burned debris can cause a chimney fire if it gets burning so best to clean it out.

some chimneys have flues that have been added, and some are just brick. one issue with the air tight heaters is that you have the ability to choke the fire and make it burn all night but this can also build up the creosote. a fire can burn which is constntly rich in fuel and starving of air and that will create more creosote than a free burning fire.

the burnt debris at the back of the fireboz changes depending on the fire. If the fire is nice dry old fruitwood or similar, and you let it turn to embers, this is clean burning and not starved of oxygen and then youll see the fire clean the firebox. If you run it rich in fuel and starve the oxygen you'll see more carbon, its basically unburnt fuel. what happens in the firebox with the soot ins an indication but what you dont want is a 1/2" cake of stuff building in there, or worse a situation where the chimney plugs up. That's a lot easier to do if the fire is choked , some put doors and things on there and that can create the same situation. Id rather loose some heat and have a good draft and a free burning fire myself, although I do admire the old pot bellies and such.

If the fire burns freely as intended it mostly cleans itself but it also depends on the wood and the kind of fires you have. nice dry hardwood or fir is best but I know I burn any lumber scraps etc as well in mine. I just won/t burn painted wood or particleboard. some fireplaces were built small and expanded when coal went out of favor so the users could burn wood instead. Mine was increased in depth with another row of brick. It seems ok still I use it a lot. I wouldn't give up your right to have a fireplace if it exists now.

http://www.damasonry.com/learn/the-secr ... -fireplace