From Old House to Old House

Project updates and progress reports
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: From Old House to Old House

Post by Manalto »

Wonderful! Congratulations. I'm sure all of us here are looking forward to hearing about your adventures in restoration and to seeing the accompanying pictures. Keep us posted!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well good for you, another old home adventure. I bet those front windows were much larger when the home was built. Look forward to more pics and descriptions.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

What a sweet house! Here's to happy days in your new home!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Every time I see an original siding reveal, it makes me itch to do that here, but we're not ready for that here yet.

It looks fantastic, and the paint choices are very nice. I've been trying in vain to find older pictures of our home because I suspect we once had cement stairs like that. (We also have a bungalow.) Work was done on the porch at some point and some of the wood supports are just plain wrong. Not sure how to describe it, but it's some drunken weasel work to be certain.

I especially like how you cleared out the foundation hedge. It made the home look like it wasn't grounded.

I look forward to the reports about your new old place! I wish you a smooth closing.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Congratulations! That's going to really be something with that tall entry. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do!
1939 Minimal Traditional

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Manalto wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:42 am Proud of vinyl - sigh - what a world, what a world...
Years ago I read a book about a real German city family moving to rural Maine in the second half of the 1980s, settling in an old farm house. One of the first things they do, and are immensely proud of, is have the entire house wrapped in vinyl so they won't ever have to paint it!