Farmhouse over the Moat

Project updates and progress reports
T. J. Albrecht
Settling in

Re: Farmhouse over the Moat

Post by T. J. Albrecht »

Here is a picture of the house really showing my 'moat' and the bridge. I got the two dining room windows out and took them to a local Amish woodworker to be rebuilt. The kitchen is completely gutted, and some of the wiring is started. I also drew up some plans for the stairs now that the hole is opened back up, and took them over the the Amish man, so he can do the figuring he needs. Right now I'm kind of at a stand still waiting for the mason to come and put the chimney up to really start putting the kitchen back together. But there is always something to do in an old house!
Attachments
100_2384.JPG
100_2384.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 2147 times
100_2383.JPG
100_2383.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 2147 times
100_2377.JPG
100_2377.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2147 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

What an pretty landscape for your home. We’re Gothichome sits is also drained land. Without the drain ditches it will soon go back to poorly drained flatland.
I like what your doing with the home and certainly hope you can bring back the original charm your home was built with. Look forward to more posts and pictures.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

TJ, I agree with Ron; you've got a nice site there. The moat makes it special, of course. Will you stock it with piranha?

Please keep us posted on progress on your house. It's really a gem.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Thanks for all the pictures. Happy to hear you're keeping that corner sink.

Keep up the good work and updates. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

T. J. Albrecht
Settling in

Post by T. J. Albrecht »

Progress...
Attachments
B16EFA9C-84C7-4237-8AAC-FAFF5C6AC4E9.jpeg
B16EFA9C-84C7-4237-8AAC-FAFF5C6AC4E9.jpeg (562.91 KiB) Viewed 1949 times

T. J. Albrecht
Settling in

Post by T. J. Albrecht »

More pictures
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (396.4 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (322.7 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Nice! You're lucky to have someone with good carpentry skills to do that work. You must be pleased with the results.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nice to see the work going into your home. The stair case looks great, is that the original location?
I noticed your have a new deck above your porch, once again nice work, looking at the before pictures it looks like you originally had a porch which got inclosed. Nice you were able to use the original posts. Do you Think you can get away with installing your porch rails at the original hight or are going to be forced to meet code and have the taller railing.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

T. J. Albrecht wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:20 pmImage
I went back through this thread, and realized you apparently have not one but TWO of the same Electrochef stove from the 20s! Do they both still work? (And I just realized I think I had one on my wishlist I spotted on ebay. I wonder if that's one of yours...) There was a six burner double oven style as well, which you can see on the link I added to the name. As much as I am fond of our Country Charm...I've always adored the Electrochef stove style. I am quite envious! :mrgreen:

Thank you for the recent progress pics. Things are developing really well.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

T. J. Albrecht
Settling in

Post by T. J. Albrecht »

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes the stairs are now in the original location, and as close to the original proportions as I can tell. I am very fortunate to have some one (Amish) who can do fine cabinetry to rebuild my windows and replicate the stairs. I built the back porch myself. Gothichome, those are not the original porch posts. They came off of an abandoned house several miles away that was burned for fireman’s training. (Helps when you’re dad’s on the volunteer fire department). Also local code doesn’t require a rail for a porch as low as mine. I do not know if either stove works, haven’t tried them yet. If anyone wanted to come get it, I would sell the one furthest from the camera for $75.