Matching the old Bathroom fixtures

Project updates and progress reports
cgutha
Knows the area

Re: Matching the old Bathroom fixtures

Post by cgutha »

I found one site that has a tub similar to mine. Because it was original enamel and in good condition the price was (Wow). This tub is in good condition. An 'eraser' with elbow grease has removed most of the rust.

I just updated my web site so you can see the progress on http://hhbbb.beyondrecoverycenter.net/2 ... -bathroom/

I am now preparing to attack the second bath. Actually, the tile is up on the walls, and if I weren't goofing off on the computer all day today, I could have started the floor. Tomorrow, the electrician is suppose to come to install my (used) three phase 225 amp panel. once this is installed, I can place the new water heaters on the wild legs or any other device to the three phase. This is mostly for the future commercial kitchen.

The insulator is scheduled for Saturday. He will insulate the third floor. Then I can move all the storage and tools to the third floor and slowly give the first and second floor to my wife to open for business.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

It looks just perfect! I like that marble-look tile and used it in my 1933 apartment, but in a green and black color scheme. Hey, it was the '90's and black is very Art Deco.

Anyway, I am extremely jealous of your tub. I was looking for one like that with the corner, but they are near impossible to find. Congratulations on getting such a beautiful one!
1939 Minimal Traditional

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

I was surprised to learn the going price of these tubs is greater than the coveted clawfoot -- nearly twice as much. It looks as if whoever added the plumbing back in '28, used the top of to the line Kohler and went all out. Except they did not use tile, they used a type of linoleum. :twisted: Guess what time and water does to this!

The second bath is an enclave tub. Unfortunately the tub I have from that era is a right hand and I designed a left hand. This original cast iron tub was already removed and stored in a dark room so I did not notice until we moved it into position. Rather than change the design, I cheated by ordering a new steal tub. The original cast iron and a new one piece surround tub that was almost installed by the last guy is slated for eBay when I get around to it.

Knowing now what I have, I am being even more careful in moving the old fixtures to their new homes.

thanks for the comments. ceg

SweetCottage
Just Arrived

Post by SweetCottage »

I have the same bathroom tub and fixtures, though mine are not in as nice condition. My house was built in 1927-28.The tub is ok, though fairly etched on the inside. I got most of the discoloration out around the drain. The tub supply is called a standing waste and drain tub valve (or a bi-waste drain). You raise the central handle and twist to stopper the tub. DEA Bath restores them to almost new, though $$! https://deabath.com/restorations/standi ... ub-valves/

My standing waste drain/valves are in poor condition: now illegal tub spout that can backflow, leaky tub shoe, nickel plating completely gone, mismatched handles, broken off central knob, leaky valves (haven't opened the handles for a bath since I bought the house - which they showed and sold with water lightly flowing from the spout :doh: ), plus the ugly tapped-in supply pipe to the added shower head. A previous owner added a standard shower head and control on the "uphill" wall opposite the drain. You quickly get used to facing the uphill end of the tub to shower!

My light bathroom remodel currently going in will replace the tub supply and drain with a new floor mounted tub filler with vintage styling and convert the tub spout to a standard overflow. I found a place in town that does some custom metal plating on the side and I had them replate (in chrome) the curved shower rod and flanges, plus some door knobs and backplates and other small pieces for $200. I prefer the look of nickel, but chrome wears better and fixtures are cheaper in chrome. I hope to eventually replace the 70s speckled tile with subway tile.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=16143
download/file.php?mode=view&id=16145
1920s English cottage style home

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Ive got a tub at our summer place. at first I had the idea of trying to put it on my roof racks. I've got an old volvo and it acn take a lot of weight but I decided the chance of things going sideways while trying to get it on there were a bit high.. so Ill take a trailer up there. its an old one I guess typical with feet and high sides, free standing. we have washrooms that were used for the campsite, it was a campsite and marina in its former life. Ive been thinking of removing a sink for my bathroom and replacing with new since everyone involved wont really care so long as I leave them working. Ive been wondering how I'd like separate taps, it seems a bit inconvenient but I guess not so bad.

Your washrooms are looking so professional, the conduit installation is so neatly done and the tile work looks so perfect. I really have to tip my hat to the restoration effort you are putting into this building. So many many would fly through all this, not respect the heritage, and your efforts really will show. there is obviously a lot of pride, and many hours going into this project.
did you ask the plating shop about nickle? often high end chroming is a combination of copper nickle then chrome but many got shut down because the chemicals are pretty harsh.
polishing the parts is a big part of it. I think they do the copper thicker and polish that because any tiny scratches will come through in the chrome. I just thought that perhaps you said chrome so they said ok, and went with that, but perhaps they have the means to do nickle? I think when they put the chrome right on the steel that is when you can see the chrome peel off. sometimes with old cars it came off like loose paint. I suspect that was when chrome shops did repairs and it didnt adhere as well as in the factory. so I think maybe the copper and nickle help the bond but the chrome shop would be able to advise better. If you know the people into custom Harleys they love chroming bits so they might know more.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Phil, separate hot and cold faucets are a real PITA. I remember growing up, my grandparents had separate hot and cold faucets in their bathroom and the only way to wash your hands was to fill the basin and then rinse with hot or cold water, or fill the basin again. If the spacing is standard maybe you can get faucets that blend hot and cold. You know, the kind that has the "bridge".

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

CGutha, you did a great job in pulling the old and new together. On the top of your wainscot, you have a set triangular tiles, i’ll assume they are half tiles, how did you finish the cut edges?

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Manalto wrote:Phil, separate hot and cold faucets are a real PITA. I remember growing up, my grandparents had separate hot and cold faucets in their bathroom and the only way to wash your hands was to fill the basin and then rinse with hot or cold water, or fill the basin again. If the spacing is standard maybe you can get faucets that blend hot and cold. You know, the kind that has the "bridge".

I second that. It's also a great way to scald yourself.

I'm at the point where I just want to put single handled faucets on every sink. I know, it doesn't look original at all, but at least there are some out there with a bit of retro styling nowadays.
1939 Minimal Traditional

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

Great comments guys. I recreated the separate faucets because of the vintage. Although it would have been easier to find a plate to cover one hole and get a "pump handle" type single hole faucet. That would have been my second choice and probably better when it comes to function and comfort. I am quite confident that the difficulty I had in finding these are simply because no one wants them.
I do have one friend helping me (at a fee). We work well together. Between the two of us, we are getting things done. What he doesn't know, I do and visa versa.
In my younger years I would have rushed to get things done, But I spent a summer working for a man who, whenever he got stuck would take a break. Then when he went back to the project, things would fall together. I guess I learned something.
The tiles are 12x24 (ish) so I cut 6x6 triangles for the top. I did nothing for the edge but worked in a thick grout line. I did not place the tiles, My friend di. He might have been careful to keep the factory side up. He would do that. I might have filed some of the sharper edges. don't remember. The guy I am working with suggested buying the Dewalt tile cutter. He always suggests the most expensive tool. I guess at the end of seven baths, two kitchens and laundry rooms it will be cost effective.

I think one of the most important parts of this project is listening to the building and trying to learn how the masters built it. She holds a lot of secrets which I am trying to bring out.
Blending today's technologies and materials with the original is key. Thanks for the compliment. She was built as a five star hotel. I doubt I can match that with today's five star standards, but I am doing my best to restore her to her original intent. There is a WOW factor in these bathrooms which I hope to match in the rest of the project. (Floorwork and woodwork is coming up.)
Good idea not to place the tub on top of your car. Although the result would have been the talk of the town.
If at all possible, if you can restore the original baths, I think it would be worth it. These took some elbow grease, and there is some rust around the drain. Where the hard water dripped for years, the ceramic is missing, I suspect an expert can make suggestions.
The original placement of this tub and the one in the next room had a cheap shower placed on the uphill side.
As I complete these projects, I give another room to my wife. She can decorate them as she wants. With each completion, she is becoming more involved with the project. (Or I am tired enough of this that I am hearing her, now.) I'll let her decide.
Plating was not mine. I Do know of a plating company in Omaha, but there is nothing like that around here. I haven't looked. I simply took a rag to it and left it like it was. I s bought chrome p-traps off the shelf.
Antique road show frequently mentions that the original finish is better than a rework.
Nice antique fixtures like these need to go somewhere where they will be appreciated. Let he cabin have standard replacement stuff.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I guess maybe it is possible to place a mixing attachment out of sight and in the run to the hot, then leave the cold as it is. Then one could wash their hands with only the hot tap, and I cant' really think why I need more than warm at the bathroom sink. Maybe an adjustment knob could be hidden somehow.