Three-flue Chimney Rebuild

Project updates and progress reports
BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Re: Three-flue Chimney Rebuild

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Gothichome wrote:Stacy, nice to have a secure chimney once again. Those black bricks are those original bricks just relaid good side out, and the flashing, (I know your not a brick layer) I notice they did not trim or fold over the end?

Thanks! The top edges are all folded over and embedded into the mortar.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

GinaC wrote:
I decided on a Blaze King wood stove because of the long burn times. I didn't want to have to babysit the thing. I really wanted a Princess, but it wouldn't fit in my fireplace, only the Ashford or Sirocco would. I decided on the Sirocco because my living room is small and it didn't stick out as much. https://www.blazeking.com/products/wood ... irocco-25/

Thanks for linking this! I’m going to file it away for when we are ready to make a decision.
Stacy

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Gothichome wrote:Stacy, nice to have a secure chimney once again. Those black bricks are those original bricks just relaid good side out, and the flashing, (I know your not a brick layer) I notice they did not trim or fold over the end?

I forgot to answer your question about the bricks. We salvaged about 30 old bricks. They might be old ones, but I’m not sure. He did plan to sprinkle in some old ones here and there.
Stacy

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

phil wrote:... for some reason I found it a bit of brain twister in some cases to figure out the sequence of materials, where to place nails and some things vary by area. .... It looks like your mason was well equipped and did a nice job.

I imagine you are exactly correct about regional difference playing a part in the overall project. I’m in ice dam territory here.

I’m so pleased with this mason. He does a done of historic stone work in town, and he’s done the chimneys on the houses of practically everyone I know.
Stacy