Me V.s. Neighbour's Fence Atrocity

Project updates and progress reports
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Me V.s. Neighbour's Fence Atrocity

Post by Willa »

I thought and thought about what to do about my commercial neighbour's terrible fence. I didn't want to go through the expense and hassle of building my own, particularly in that due to my lower elevation I would be breaking the fence bylaw to even match this wretched fence in height.

There was no point in painting it, as that would do nothing to disguise the shoddy workmanship.

There was no point in attaching lattice, or even sheets of plywood to make it opaque, as the construction is so dubious that the extra weight would probably pull it down.

I previously hung up painters drop cloths cut to size, and hemmed, on the chainlink fence as a privacy screen. This was certainly better than nothing. The cheapest material would be drop cloths - but as these are usually cotton, they will mildew and rot outside in a short period of time. Canvas meant for exterior applications like awnings is UV resistant acrylic, but a quality material runs $ 15.00 - 30.00/yd. I estimated I would need about 30 yards, as it would need to be pieced to fit a 6' fence (most wide fabric is 54").

Finally I found my solution: recycled billboard tarps.

While they are printed on one side, the other is solid black. They are huge - 14' x 48'. I read reviews from people who used them for many purposes and the concensus was that they were super durable, easy to cut and sew, and were completely opaque. A local surplus store sold them for $ 79.95. This was the cheapest for any amount of material.

Each tarp weighs 40 lbs, so they are unwieldy to wrassle. I also did not have a large paved driveway to lay it out to cut on, but I figured something out and cut in sections.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about staring at black plastic vs the terrible fence. The bad fence raised my blood pressure every single time I looked at it. It's almost a year since it was built, and the boards have shrunk considerably, so there is now copious light leakage through them. The plastic couldn't be worse, I thought.

Fence front, before:

_DSC0007 2.jpg
_DSC0007 2.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 1588 times

Fence after. It was impossible to make them fit smooth and tight as the bizarre construction below was lumpy with old chain link posts, odd sistering of wood and other head scratchers:

_DSC0026.jpg
_DSC0026.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1588 times

Amount of light leakage with one panel applied, and two sections without:

_DSC0002 2.jpg
_DSC0002 2.jpg (667.02 KiB) Viewed 1588 times

Starting on the worst sections in the backyard:

_DSC0002.jpg
_DSC0002.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1588 times

Two down and one to go tomorrow:

_DSC0004.jpg
_DSC0004.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1588 times

I set 00 grommets along the perimeter and used short wood screws to attach it to the fence.

It is not beautiful, but it sure is bettER. It is really an improvement not seeing the movement of cars, the overly bright pumps, etc. through the fence gaps.
Last edited by Willa on Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Me V.s. Neighbour's Fence Atrocity

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That's a creative solution, but it looks like it works pretty well. If you want to mask the black surfaces, you may want to consider planting ivy, grapevines, or some other type of vine in front of them.

Willa

Post by Willa »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:That's a creative solution, but it looks like it works pretty well. If you want to mask the black surfaces, you may want to consider planting ivy, grapevines, or some other type of vine in front of them.

My other two fences are painted black, so the blackness is actually a bonus.

I was thinking it was like I had censored or redacted the terrible fence. My improvement is invisible from their side, too, so there is nothing for them to complain about.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

That really is an ingenious solution!

And I am in awe of that fence construction -- and not in a good way.
1939 Minimal Traditional

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Some plant suggestions:

- Sugar Cone Maple - a compact sugar maple; ours are 15 ft tall and 4 ft in diameter; see photo in my blogpost as they were just starting to leaf-out in the spring; once leafed-out, its leaves are as big as my open hand with fingers splayed; in the photo it's the one just off the corner of the house by the bumper of the rental truck.
- Various columnar evergreens - most of these are very narrow; their form is very different to what is usual with a "pyramidal" evergreen... - Arborvitae: Degroot's Spire, Thin Man; Juniper: Skyrocket (fast grower!)

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I currently have an ugly chain link fence and some less than picturesque neighbors to the north side. I am growing hardy banana trees and arundo donax (giant variegated reed grass) to block out the neighboring properties. My trees have easily reached 7-8 ft tall this year. lol!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

in Massachusetts, when installing a fence the 'pretty' side should be facing the neighbors...
the side with the framing should face the installer...that is not the case here...

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

heartwood wrote:in Massachusetts, when installing a fence the 'pretty' side should be facing the neighbors...
the side with the framing should face the installer...that is not the case here...

Yes, that is the case here in Vermont, and also in Georgia where I lived until May. My fence that was installed last week has the good sides facing my neighbors.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa

Post by Willa »

One of the more ridiculous aspects of my fence situation is that this city does not have any bylaws requiring structural stability of a fence, nor requirements for a business with a parking area to have an opaque privacy fence for residential neighbours. There are certainly no requirements for the "good neighbour" side of a fence. I am however, prohibited from erecting a corrugated metal fence for my residence.

Frankly I would have been quite happy with a galvanized, corrugated steel fence that would be tall enough to block out all the offending light. This is because this city has no bylaws concerning light infiltration, either. How is a fence like either of the attached images more unsightly than what I have been confronted with ?

Unknown.png
Unknown.png (2.93 MiB) Viewed 1482 times

15169d3b11f47ec2f372ae008233cce6.jpg
15169d3b11f47ec2f372ae008233cce6.jpg (79.27 KiB) Viewed 1482 times