Slate roof replacement project

Project updates and progress reports
DavidP
Been here a while

Re: Slate roof replacement project

Post by DavidP »

Gothichome wrote: . . .that copper puts your slate roof over top of any I have seen

The alternative was aluminum, which just didn't seem right and wouldn't look good over the long term, I think (see next comment). The copper wasn't that much more expensive, relative to the whole job, because most of the cost is the installation not the material; the installation is about the same, maybe a little less for aluminum.

In four or five years when it starts to develop verdigris

Hold on there, cowboy -- move your brain into slate roof time (like tree time, a longer frame of reference than what humans typically use). It takes 2-3 years for the copper to turn brown not shiny, and 15-20 years before it starts to get the green patina. I have copper on a shed roof over my garage doors. It was installed 15 years ago and still hasn't a trace of green. It gets less weather than the copper on the roof will; even so, it's possible I will never see verdigris on my roof. (I hope I last long enough . . . )

I am very curious to see how long it takes before the slate starts to weather and we get some buff/brown/tan tones in the roof. I think it will be a few years but don't know for sure. In 30 years or so the roof will look as it should -- slate roof time. 8-)
Last edited by DavidP on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

Manalto wrote:they did a chemical analysis of the original paint and determined that it couldn't have been pure white

That agrees with what I learned when I was researching paint colors for my house: the brilliant whites that we can get today, along many other shades, are products of 20th century paint chemistry. The cream color really is beautiful and doesn't glare against a blue sky. It's great that the church was willing to share the formula.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I read somewhere that Frank Lloyd Wright used to get his interns to save their pee to pour onto copper used in his creations. Apparently it ages the copper very effectively
Mick...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I think David might get it trouble with the neighbours and the local constabulary if started pee’ing on his roof Mick :naughty: :-)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:I think David might get it trouble with the neighbours and the local constabulary if started pee’ing on his roof Mick :naughty: :-)

That's why you use student interns ;)
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick_VT wrote:
Gothichome wrote:I think David might get it trouble with the neighbours and the local constabulary if started pee’ing on his roof Mick :naughty: :-)

That's why you use student interns ;)

:lol:

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

In coastal areas, copper will form patina a lot quicker than in dryer climate. For an area that's not near the coast, I'd say 15-20 years is a pretty good estimate for when you will begin to see the first traces of green.

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:In coastal areas, copper will form patina a lot quicker than in dryer climate.

Makes sense -- I hadn't thought of that. I am inland. I will let the weather do its thing without any (ahem) chemical assistance from me.

Update: my contractor somehow ended up short one piece of ridge roll. Everything else is done, the dumpster and port-a-potty taken away. Today is Tuesday; they will be here either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning to install that last piece and do a final inspection and cleanup. I will post some final photos on my blog then. It's nice to have my garage and driveway back after four weeks!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

DavidP wrote:
1918ColonialRevival wrote:...the...port-a-potty taken away.

Well then, I guess your decision to let the copper age naturally is definite. 8-)

I'm looking forward to more photos to swoon over. Yesterday I ran an errand (picking up cast iron radiators - a cinch of a task :roll: ) at a nice 1920s Tudor Revival house. I admired its slate roof and saw the subtle, irregular aging of the shingles so I understand better the effect you want for your house. To me, any slate roof is beautiful.