Slate roof replacement project

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Re: Slate roof replacement project

Post by Gothichome »

Folks, for those who haven’t seen the latest on David’s roof project.
http://apps.scholarsfonts.net/Blog/

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I was reading it top-to-bottom at first and then - hey, wait a minute! - I noticed he has wisely numbered the days.

Thanks for posting the link, Ron. That slate roof is beautiful. I'm getting inspired by the photos I've seen here today.

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

Manalto wrote:I was reading it top-to-bottom at first and then - hey, wait a minute! - I noticed he has wisely numbered the days.

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. People who've been following the blog find it convenient to start with the most recent, but those who are new would prefer oldest first. I can set it either way but most blogs seem to do most the former, so that's what I did (along with numbering the days).

Thanks for posting the link, Ron. That slate roof is beautiful.

Yes, the slate is beautiful. I looked at a lot of roofs before committing to this project. I thought that asphalt shingles and some kinds of slate were "too perfect" because they were so uniform, in contrast to the weathered slate on my old roof. So I got the semi-weathering gray slate. Now I'm also admiring how nice the uniform gray looks -- attractive in a different way, less rustic one might say. In the end I think I'll like the variety after the roof picks up some tan/brown/buff shades, but only time will tell. Supposedly this slate will weather but not to the extent that the old roof did; hopefully a nice compromise.

I was away for 2 1/2 days, just got back. Looks like they didn't work on Saturday -- the forecast was iffy. They did finish the slate on the northeast corner on Friday. I will get an entry for that up later today or first thing tomorrow. The copper ridge covering is next.

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

I just have to vent. I mentioned in an earlier post that a house up the street, similar to mine, had its slate roof replaced with shingles. As I drove by today, I saw that they have started installing vinyl siding; dark gray vinyl siding.

The people who bought this house about 15 years ago gave it a nice historical paint job. The new owners would have needed only to do some touch up and have a distinctive, attractive house. Now it will be basically a gray mass. The roof I can understand, since slate is such a huge amount of money. But it would have been easy to maintain what the previous owners had done with the exterior.

In an ironic twist, my carpenter copied the purlins from that house to replace those that were removed when mine was sided a long time ago. Now those purlins will be, if not destroyed, at least invisible. AGRHH!

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

David, I think all of us here can sympathize. It's sad to see beautiful architectural features needlessly obscured or destroyed. Windows are a particularly sore point for me. The West End of Hartford has an abundance of fine houses from the late 19th and early 20th century, some of them quite large (one of Mark Twain's houses is there: https://marktwainhouse.org/). As a kid I saw all the variations of windows with multiple panes, diamond panes, curved glass, etc. Now I can drive for several blocks and only occasionally spot a house with its original windows; most of them have been replaced with vinyl, some of them with those heinous, dishonest snap-in grids that are meant to mimic real window panes, presumably for the legally blind.

My own house had its overhangs encased in vinyl, which I removed when the roof was redone. Fortunately, the wood was in good condition (in the areas that were not destroyed by fire - probably the inspiration for the vinyl cover-up).

White vinyl siding is bad enough but the colored versions, particularly the darker colors, fade over time. Lately I've been seeing people painting vinyl siding. Ugh.

At least the purlins will live on to be seen and enjoyed on your house. Which reminds me - when you have a moment, could you post a full-size version of your avatar photo? I really like your house; it's got great warmth and character - from what I can see in the postage stamp!

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

James, if you go here you can see a before and after picture of my house. Scroll up three or four posts from there and you will see a larger version of my avatar.

Agree 100% about windows. Older neighborhoods are architectural treasures; within a half mile radius of my house I can see Victorians, Craftsman bungalows, Prairie School homes, foursquares, Colonial Revivals, and various hybrids -- many well preserved, but too many replacement windows.

I actually don't mind people painting vinyl siding. It's more eco-friendly than ripping it off and replacing it just because the owners want a different color. I owned a condo with vinyl siding, and you're right that the darker colors fade (so the north is darker than the south side) -- but so does paint, in some cases anyway.

David

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

DavidP wrote:I actually don't mind people painting vinyl siding. It's more eco-friendly than ripping it off and replacing it just because the owners want a different color.

I actually do. If you're going to paint your house, paint it - not the plastic it's covered with. Assuming that the primary purpose of vinyl siding is to avoid painting, this activity is patently absurd. I've seen a fair share of uneven fading of dark-color vinyl siding on the same side of a house too, under the eaves or where oversize shrubs have been removed. It ain't pretty.

That "After" photo (in your link) made me heave a big sigh of relief. Your house painted in colors is so much more soothing, inviting and interesting than the stark white. Well done.

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

Manalto wrote:Your house painted in colors is so much more soothing, inviting and interesting than the stark white.

Thanks! It's definitely more interesting. I had not thought of it as being more soothing and inviting, but you are probably right about that. It is also much better proportioned now that the horizontal elements are visible.

For those who've been following my blog: we had two days with more gutter work and preparation for installing the ridge caps, then lost a day to a bad forecast. But there will be an new entry late tonight (Friday) or early tomorrow, since they finally have started installing the ridge roll. Edit: blog entry is now posted.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

David, I must repeat myself, that copper puts your slate roof over top of any I have see. In four or five years when it starts to develop verdigris it will be the most spectacular roof and home on the block.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

DavidP wrote:I had not thought of it as being more soothing and inviting, but you are probably right about that.

White can be stark in some situations and your house (as you know) cries out for color to bring out its features. When Trinity Church (1726) in Newport, Rhode Island was restored, they did a chemical analysis of the original paint and determined that it couldn't have been pure white so, for historical authenticity, the church was painted a vanilla ice-cream color. The result is subtly beautiful. Because it sits up on a hill, even in full sun the church isn't a glaring white against the blue sky, but a mellower, warmer color.

When I was choosing colors for my house in Alabama, I called Trinity to get their paint formula, which they gladly gave to me. :dance:

I agree with Ron; that copper is terrific.