Suggestions from the District

Project updates and progress reports
Gothichome

Suggestions from the District

Post by Gothichome »

Ok folks, it’s comming to the time I have to stain the depressed areas around the fancy bits.
These areas will get the dark stain, the raised portion a lighter stain.
My issue is the cutting in of the dark stain. My thoughts, with a smaller brush (1/4 inch or so) to do the cutting in and a larger for the fill. Now I have a lot of these to do so if some one has had experience or a better idea I would certainly like to know.
Ron

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Suggestions from the District

Post by awomanwithahammer »

If I remember correctly, you are going to put the stain on, but not wipe it off? In which case, a small artist's brush to cut in sounds like the beset way to go to me. I would do the darker stain first and let it completely dry before you do the lighter. If you get the lighter on the darker accidentally, it won't matter as much as the other way around. My two cents' worth, but I defer to others more experienced than I.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bonnie, I did use the artist brush for the cut in. Took forever but it’s now done. And I do have forever to get it done if it came down to it. No dead line, no worries, so no stress. I have a job for the deadlines, worries and stresses.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I would use a 2" sash (aka angled) brush and cut in, doing the dark first. It is a lot easier than you might think, just don't have the brush too wet
Mick...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Is there a way to make the stain a gel so it doesn't run, or is that overkill?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, I did use a gel. It all worked out fine. Still working my way around the hallway with the first colour. My hope is to get this finished on the weekend. After that remask for the second colour.