And just like that Christmas goes kablooey!!!

Project updates and progress reports
Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

And just like that Christmas goes kablooey!!!

Post by Jeepnstein »

We woke up Thursday morning to low water pressure and not hot water. Hmm... Let's look in the basement. Yep, full of water and the old hot water tank is making like Old Faithful. Crap. I had been saving some nickles and dimes to buy a new rifle for myself and some jewelry for my wife for Christmas. Looks like we're getting a water heater instead.

So off to the plumbing supply house I go for a new-fangled tankless water heater. They sell them by gallons per minute and since I have teenagers under the roof and lots of square footage I wound up popping for an 11 gallon a minute "money saver". These things are great for installing in new construction but putting the vent and intake through the foundation requires three inch pipe through a 19 inch thick brick wall.

20181129_084046.jpg
20181129_084046.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 991 times

That was the bulk of Day One. I did get it roughed in but didn't even consider doing a pressure test and had all sorts of fun locating a 3/4 inch flexible supply line to feed the beast. We woke up to cold showers on Friday.

Resized_20181129_140910(1)003.jpeg
Resized_20181129_140910(1)003.jpeg (171.86 KiB) Viewed 991 times

It's up and running. The electric is temporary and I'm heading down to run a circuit to feed it and the condensate pump ASAP. Merry Christmas to me!!!!

The good news is the thing is amazing. I don't know about the cost savings but you can run a faucet wide open for an hour and it'll still deliver the same hot water as it did in the first minute or two. I'm going to have to put a coin operated truck stop style timer on the shower or my boys will live in there.
Attachments
20181130_113747.jpg
20181130_113747.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: And just like that Christmas goes kablooey!!!

Post by Manalto »

Rifles and jewelry are overrated; a hot shower isn't.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

wow, there sure do make those things pretty compact now....
yea, some things you want, some things you need...start
saving those nickels and dimes again...
....jade

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

heartwood wrote:wow, there sure do make those things pretty compact now....
yea, some things you want, some things you need...start
saving those nickels and dimes again...
....jade

It was pure luxury this morning. We had a bowling tournament to attend and nobody ran out of hot water during the rush hour to get ready. I'll see what it does to the utility bills. At least it wasn't the boiler.

I'm one of the few people who can legitimately claim the purchase of a new rifle as a volunteer expense on my taxes. It's one of the ways that cops like me can save a few dollars on the way since we are required to provide our own duty gear. Last year was upgraded body armor from "Santa". I was hoping to get it in on this year's taxes.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Sounds like you got a few extra square feet in the basement for Christmas.
Now you can shower until the cows come home ;-)
I'm dreading the day mine expires. I know its on borrowed time.